AnsweredAssumed Answered

Searching for ranges of dates in different formats

Question asked by Brin on Aug 3, 2009
Latest reply on Aug 3, 2009 by Brin

Title

Searching for ranges of dates in different formats

I am a UK FileMaker newbie playing with the trial version of FMP10 for use as a databse for a church archive going back to 1850. Documents and sources within the archive are sometimes fully dated (dd/mmm/yyyy), sometimes only the month and year is known (mmm/yyyy) and sometimes only the year is known (yyyy). The archive needs to be searchable by reference to dates in any of these formats (though I appreciate you can't mix them) as well as by text/keywords. So my thought was to have three separate date fields, in the hope that I could devise a form of query that would search,e.g., for records on a keyword topic "between 1 Jan 1900 and 31 Dec 1932 OR between Jan 1900 and Dec 1932 OR between 1900 and 1932". However, FMP is not letting me set date-formatting options allowing the entry of a date in a field as only a month and year, or only a year.

Does this sound like a difficulty that anyone else has encountered ?

I have not yet started trying to write scripts or calculation fields but am willing to have a go if anyone can tell me that it is within novice capability by following instructions !

Outcomes