AnsweredAssumed Answered

Searching Multiple Serial Numbers

Question asked by isybela on Jan 21, 2010
Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 by isybela

Title

Searching Multiple Serial Numbers

I apologize in advance for what is probably a very simple question --but I've been searching the forum and can't find an answer to it.

I'm working with a database in FM 6 (I work for a poor nonprofit, no upgrading funds...) and am a newcomer to databases. I've created a field for unique serial numbers (after much help on this forum, thank you!). 

However, my problem comes when I'm trying to retrieve records searching in the serial number field. Right now, it will only find records if I type in the exact serial number. But I want to be able to type in just a few numbers and retrieve the range of them.

(For example, if I wanted a particular record and I only remember that the last two digits are 78, I'd like to retrieve all the records that end in 78 and be able to just manually look through them). Someone described this with "apples" --if you type in "apples" you get back "granny smith apples" and "redapples". I just want this function with numbers. 

Is there some way of defining the field or the find terms to do this? Or do I need to create a script (something I haven't done yet)? 

Thanks!

Outcomes