1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 6, 2010 8:09 AM by philmodjunk

Searching Portal Question

user14040

Title

Searching Portal Question

Hi 

I and trying to search the portal by entering the month number but if I put in 7 (for July) it still list all months, but if I enter 8 it will only show me the month of August entries so i guess something is wrong.

On this layout the main table is Investigator and the portal is set for Glassware.  I have a field named SearchByMonth that uses a calculation [Month ( Date )] from glassware table, it turns the dates into a month number.   Is it possible to just list the month entries in a portal? 

I also need to print this out as a ticket, is it possible to print what is listed below but also print everything in the portal, most of the time the data will not show in the port so I will need to also print the portal contains.

Thanks

glassware ticket

• 1. Re: Searching Portal Question
          philmodjunk

I [am] trying to search the portal by entering the month number but if I put in 7 (for July) it still list all months, but if I enter 8 it will only show me the month of August entries so i guess something is wrong.

It's important to understand what will happen when you enter find mode and specify criteria in a portal row. You have at least two tables involved. The table referenced in Layout setup... (the parent record) and the table referenced in Portal Setup... (The child records). When you enter find criteria in the portal row, you are telling FileMaker "find all parent records that have at least one child record matching this criteria". Once the records are found and the system returns to Browse mode, each of these parent records will show all related records in their portals--both those that matched your criteria and those that didn't.

Thus, in your case, when you enter find mode, type in 7 in the month field of the portal and perform the find, you'll find any record that has at least one portal row with 7 in this field, but all other related records such as those in your your screen shot from the month of August will also be shown.

To only see records in the portal that are only from a specified month, you would need to either filter the portal or perform the find on a layout based on the portal's records instead of your "parent" records.

Let's hold that thought and go on to question two. I have a suggestion that may suit both requirements.

I also need to print this out as a ticket, is it possible to print what is listed below but also print everything in the portal, most of the time the data will not show in the port so I will need to also print the portal contains.

Since your portal has 14 rows, printing from that layout can only show a maximum of 14 rows of portal data. You have two options: 1) Create a layout where you have many more rows to the portal and set this portal to slide up/resize enclosing part to eliminate the unused space when you print or 2) Create a layout based on the portal tables with the fields from the parent record added to this layout by placing them in either headers, footers or subsummary parts.

I recommend you use option 2 here as you can also perform searches on this layout for a specific month and Investigator to get the results I think you are requesting here. For examples of this approach, check out the Invoices starter solution that comes with FileMaker 11. Both the invoices and packing slips are printed using this method.