10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2012 9:40 AM by philmodjunk

Second field populates with first field's selection.

VincentYoung

Title

Second field populates with first field's selection.

Hi,

I have a medical billing DB. There is the principal diagnosis such as appendicitis, then there are secondary dx such as hypertension, diabetes, asthma, etc. I have 3 fields other diagnosis 1,2, and 3. I created 3 tables, other dx 1,2,3. Each table with exactly the same set of dxs, but table name different. For some reason when I choose from OD 1, that choice populates OD1, and OD3 fields. But not OD2 field. Choosing OD 2 field only populates OD2 field as expected. If I choose a different dx in OD3 field, it will change the selection in 3 but 1 is unchanged. I restarted program, reviewed table associations and field associations but I can't figure out why it populates both fields. I have exactly the same setup in the database with a procedure table, but it behaves as expected. Any ideas. Sorry for typos, typing on phone.

thx in advance.

• 1. Re: Second field populates with first field's selection.
          philmodjunk

And we would need to see those relationships in detail before suggesting why this isn't working, but a much simpler design seems possible.

This looks much like an invoices where a single invoice lists multiple types of items purchased and each looks up price, description, etc. from the same related table. It's just in your case you are listing multiple diagnoses for a singe patient or single office visit.

Consider these tables and relationships:

Patient----<Patient_Diagnosis>-----Diagnoses

Patient::__pkPatientID = Patient_Diagnosis::_fkPatientID
               Diagnoses::__pkDiagnosisID = Patient_Diagnosis::_fkDiagnosisID

If this notation is unfamiliar to you, see: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

With this set of relationships, you can put a portal to Patient_Diagnosis on your Patient Layout and use it to list multiple diagnoses. This should eliminate the need for multiple diagnosis fields and multiple tables (Table occurrences?) to which to link each such field.

• 2. Re: Second field populates with first field's selection.
            VincentYoung

Thank you! That would be great to be able to choose mult dx from one field. Do you know if this setup will work on FMW? I leave my DB running and access from my phone and fill out on the run and FMW has decreased functionality compared to running directly from DB.

• 3. Re: Second field populates with first field's selection.
              philmodjunk

FMW?

Do you mean FM GO?

or Instant web publishing?

WIth either, this approach should work as far as I know.

• 4. Re: Second field populates with first field's selection.
                VincentYoung

IWP. I already have up on GO.

• 5. Re: Second field populates with first field's selection.
                  VincentYoung

Here is a twist, when I access via IWP from iPhone, it doesn't happen, only when I edit fields on computer.

• 6. Re: Second field populates with first field's selection.
                    philmodjunk

What do you mean by "it"?

Due to the browser interface, new data from the DB cannot be pulled up until a user action "submits" the data. Thus screens don't update as frequently in IWP as it does in FM GO or via a FileMaker Client of your database.

• 7. Re: Second field populates with first field's selection.
                      VincentYoung

The second field is not populated when I save a Form that was completed on my iPhone. I am going back and looking at other records that I entered on my iPhone and when I only have a single diagnosis, only other diagnosis number one is filled, and diagnosis number three is left blank. These are records from days and weeks ago and I have not done anything new to the database. I usually enter my data from my iPhone and rarely do I use the database on the computer. When I get home I print the billing charge sheets from the data that I've entered

• 8. Re: Second field populates with first field's selection.
                        philmodjunk

IF you are using your iPhone, why not use FileMaker Go instead of Safari to access the database?

Is the layout you are using one that uses a portal like I described?

• 9. Re: Second field populates with first field's selection.
                          VincentYoung

Well, i started this DB with FM 6 in 2001-2. I developed a HanDbase database for use on a palm that I would use a ODBC plug in to sync it with FM, and print out my billing sheets. The palm again provided me the opportunity to enter data away from home. I kept that system until now. My computer is slowing, etc, so I decided to upgrade figuring there was improve hardware/software. I tried GO but I could not get it to function as seamlessly as I would have liked. I tried but ultimately gave up because I felt the internet access was easier. When I got home after entering data, I opened FM on the computer and hit my print script and my billing sheets would print out. That was it, no exchanging files, etc. Also, I can use any computer to access the DB and enter data, not just my Iphone.

I tried to use it but found it less useful than this solution. I am a doctor Jim (Star Trek) so I have some knowledge of this DB program, but not sophisticated to make portals, etc. I figure a way that works for me and go with it. Once it works I dont go back to try and improve on it. I may dable and try to figure out your portal example, but it is more important I keep up to date with my billing. Guess who I will ask for help when I run into it with the example.; )

Thanks for all your help and interest, I do appreciate it!

• 10. Re: Second field populates with first field's selection.
                            philmodjunk

All my suggestions in this thread have assumed that you are using a portal to the "lineItems" or "invoice data" table. Portals are a very basic design tool for use with FileMaker. I strongly encourage you to learn how to use them. They really aren't that difficult to set up.