6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2013 1:20 PM by ruhlanma

Security and Data Separation

ruhlanma

Title

Security and Data Separation

I'm having some difficulty with an app I put together for a group of iPad users.  This is our initial phase of the application and we began with a standalone database that will be given to each user.   A brief description is this:   we have a sales team who will be gathering forcasting data for the coming season.  They have a lookup table that consists of all potential customer names/addresses.  They will lookup a customer as they go to visit them, and they will then fill out a short survey on the ipad.  Periodically the survey data will be exported and delivered to hq for compilation into the forecasting system. 

Once I built the tables and layouts and imported the customer lookup data, I separated the data from the gui layouts.  Now I have two files.  The gui and the data.  I left all the user accounts in the gui and only the admin account with auto-login in the data.  But when my users attempted to copy the data file onto their apps they were given a message that they didn't have permission to copy the file. 

So I've been trying to find info about this topic in the forums.  I've only found one that really discusses user issues with data separation.  It basically states that the user accounts need to reside with the data, and at least one account needs to be on the gui.  I think this suggests that who ever the ipad user is, their account needs to be on both the gui and the data.  But I don't want to have 35 different copies of the gui, one for each user.  So I think I need to keep the entire user account set on both the gui and the data.  The problem I forsee is if the user changes their password, and then I send an update, the password will revert back to the original.  Also, I hate the thought of maintaining user accounts in two places.  That could get messy. 

I realize that moving the data to a server is going to eventually be the way to go.  But for this first pass, just to get things on the ground moving, we are going with this standalone solution. 

Can anyone point me to a definitive piece of documentation that thoroughly defines the data separation model?  I don't see any reference to it in any of the documentation that comes with Filemaker Pro Advanced V.12.  Is there a book or something?  I'm an old foxpro/dbase developer and I'm used to having a good manual available to help me wade through a problem like this. 

Thanks and sorry for the long read.

• 1. Re: Security and Data Separation
          philmodjunk

But when my users attempted to copy the data file onto their apps they were given a message that they didn't have permission to copy the file.

Exactly how are they doing this? in a script? If so, a script can be set to run with full access privileges by selecting that check box in the script editor.

• 2. Re: Security and Data Separation
            ruhlanma

Hi Phil.  No.  They are using ITunes to add the file.  Which really puzzles me as to how ITunes is aware of what user accounts are stored in either of the files.

• 3. Re: Security and Data Separation
              philmodjunk

It isn't. This has nothing to do with FileMaker permission settings. I've had the same error message pop up on my Windows 7 laptop for no reason and I had no passwords of any kind set on the database file. Moving the file or sometimes just trying to copy the file over again seemed to be all that it took. Though I have stopped using iTunes to copy database files to my computer. It is simpler to use Drop Box.

• 4. Re: Security and Data Separation
                ruhlanma

Pretty strange. 

Are you aware of any detailed documentation (other than the piece meal posts on the forums) regarding data separation?

• 5. Re: Security and Data Separation
                  philmodjunk

Data Separation has nothing to do with the issue you have encountered here. I've had it happen with single file solutions that had no defined passwords.

When it comes to Data Separation, I am "self taught" for the most part.

I do point users at this thread when the subject comes up: Convert to Seperation Model

But it's far from a comprehensive look at all the possible details involved.

• 6. Re: Security and Data Separation
                    ruhlanma

Yes.  Thanks.  I'll try deleting and recopying.  I did use that thread as my guide when creating the separation of my data.  But it said nothing about security or users. 

Anyway, thanks for the help.  Filemaker is a nice development tool, but it's like groping around like a blind man sometimes where the documentation is concerned.