4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2015 1:59 AM by PavelGC

Security arrangement

PavelGC

Title

Security arrangement

Hello,

I would like to have the following security arrangement in my database using FileMaker Pro.

I want all users to be able to create new records. However, once the new record is created and the user logs out, I want that the users have access to edit only some of the fields in that record; and only the administrator is allowed to change every field in the very same record.

Is that possible to do with FileMaker Pro? 

• 1. Re: Security arrangement
          lijnbach

"In database --> security --> privilege sets" you can set all the rights for every user (or a group of users). This includes allowing "adding records" yes or no and allowing "editing records" yes or no.

Hans Lijnbach

• 2. Re: Security arrangement
            philmodjunk

I want that the users have access to edit only some of the fields in that record

Option 1:

Use script triggers on those fields that run a script that checks the user's privilege set name and moves the focus back out of the field if the user does not have a privilege set name that permits editing that field.

Option 2:

Move these fields into a different table linked in a 1 to 1 relationship with the original table. Now you have a separate related record and you can use record level access control to limit when this set of fields can or cannot be edited and by whom.

See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a description of how to set this up.

• 3. Re: Security arrangement
              lijnbach

Excuses, I oversaw this one "edit only some of the fields".

Hans

• 4. Re: Security arrangement
                PavelGC

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll keep you posted about how I do with my security settings.

Pavel