5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 9:33 AM by philmodjunk

Security Issue

JavedulHaq

Title

Security Issue

Hi, I have two Accouts (Admin and User). Admin has full access. User is limited to two lays only. The problem is that if the user kicks to back system date, he can enter data in old dates, it happens so because fm gets date from system. I have checked this. That could harm too much. Is there any way to stop user to do so?

• 1. Re: Security Issue
          philmodjunk

You haven't posted much information for me to work with. It sounds like you need to add a field to the record such that setting a value in the field "locks" it. This then could be used to lock past records without a change of the computer's system clock being able to unlock access to the record.

• 2. Re: Security Issue
            JavedulHaq

Ok I Try to explain, This is a db for a shop, There are two accounts. The "user" enters data the whole day. He has limited access with privilege set. The Admin checks data every day. But if a user change system date to past and enter some data then Admin cannot know that user has entered data in past dates. I want to know how can we stop user to enter data if he changes system date to past. What should I do to secure db?

• 3. Re: Security Issue
              philmodjunk

We have a similar situation. a "Weighmaster" weighs the scrap and beverage containers and fills out a purchase order form with the info. A cashier then prints the receipt and hands over the cash. We don't want weighmasters to change any record after the cashier has printed it. We solved that here by setting up a button to print the receipts. The button performs a script that, among many other tasks, sets a value in a field from "ready for cashier" to "Printed". Record Level Access controls set up in manage security ban non "admin" users from editing a record (and related line items) with that value in that field.

See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a description of how to set this up.

So I suggest coming up with a way to set such a "lock" value in a field to lock past records. A different way to do that from what we used might be to run a script every night that locks all records that need to be locked by setting the lock field to a value that locks the record.

• 4. Re: Security Issue
                JavedulHaq

"So I suggest coming up with a way to set such a "lock" value in a field to lock past records". Please, some hints to do so, will be appreciated. Thanks

• 5. Re: Security Issue
                  philmodjunk

I have already posted two such hints:

1) there may be a script that you already have in place that your data entry people run when they complete a given record. That script could be modified to set a field to a "lock" value.

2) You can set up a script to run each night after close of business that finds all the records that need to be locked and set's the lock field to lock them.