13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2014 9:51 AM by philmodjunk

Security level for 1 db but not the other

ahutler

Title

Security level for 1 db but not the other

Hello-

I would like a staff member to have access to create records and edit, but not delete any records, in one databse but NOT the other/main database. How would i set it up for her to have this limited access?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Security level for 1 db but not the other
          philmodjunk

What do you mean by "database"? Is this two different tables in the same file or two different files?

If two different files, you can define accounts with the same name, but different privileges in each file.

If this is the same file, you can set up different access privileges for each table in the Account's privilege set to give the two different levels of access.

• 2. Re: Security level for 1 db but not the other
            ahutler

Sorry, two different tables but I believe the same file (file?)

• 3. Re: Security level for 1 db but not the other
              philmodjunk

Then if you open Manage | Security, you can create a privilege set (or edit an existing one) for that user that grants different levels of access for each table in the file.

With the Edit Privileges dialog open on your screen, select "custom privileges" from the Records drop down and you'll get a window popping up that lists every table defined in your file and this is where you can specify different levels of access for each table.

You may want to look up: "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help to learn more.

• 4. Re: Security level for 1 db but not the other
                ahutler

Opps, i guess it is a seperate file, because when I go to the manage db->security, there is only 1 table (the main large database) listed.

So is the procedure any different for it being seperate files and therefore seperate tables?

• 5. Re: Security level for 1 db but not the other
                  philmodjunk

You'll need to open the other file, select Manage | Security and create/edit an account with the same exact account name as that specified for this user in the other file. You'd then set your access privileges in the account in this file.

• 6. Re: Security level for 1 db but not the other
                    ahutler

Thank you and to clarify:

If she has access to "add new and edit" but NOT delete in the 1 file/table/database, it won't give her access to "add new and edi"t to the OTHER main file/table/database, correct?

• 7. Re: Security level for 1 db but not the other
                      philmodjunk

Correct. Provided that these really are two separate tables and not two occurrences of the same table.

• 8. Re: Security level for 1 db but not the other
                        ahutler

I'm not doing something right.

When I created a login/privilege set for her, I tested it by logging in as her and after I hit enter on the login pop-up the table pulls up with an all gray background and NO ACCESS in black letters. There are no fields, records, etc for me to interact with. (I also tried creating this on the Main database/table/file in case this was needed first, but the same thing happened).

Here is what I'm doing (i have full access btw)

File

Manage

Security->New

I create a login/password for her, tick Active, and then New Privilege set from the drop down

Name it: "Create, Edit, No Delete, in For Sale DB"

Go to Records drop down and select custom record privileges

For this Table I select View-Yes, Edit-Yes, Create-Yes, Delete-No, Field Access-All, click ok

On the Edit Privielge Set Screen Require re-authentication after the specified mintues AND Disconnect user FM server when Idle were ticked

I click ok and then, as I said login as her and the NO ACCESS is the result????

• 9. Re: Security level for 1 db but not the other
                          philmodjunk

Are you sure that you allowed for the table on which this layout is based and not some other table in the file?

• 10. Re: Security level for 1 db but not the other
                            ahutler

Pretty sure. The tables are labeled differently, and I selected the "Sale Table"

• 11. Re: Security level for 1 db but not the other
                              philmodjunk

Yet what you report would indicate otherwise.

But you have two files involved here, correct?

Is this layout where you see "no access" the same file as where you set up the account that limits access to this table?

Or are you testing this from the other file?

• 12. Re: Security level for 1 db but not the other
                                ahutler

I am not too clear on what you mean by files, but yes I do believe they are two seperate files.

I have a seperate login for the Main Large Table/File/DB from the smaller one. They are stored in different places on the network, and their information/records are different.

Yes, the "no access" is seen in the same file that I set up her account that limits acces to the table.

Should I just open Filemkaer and not select a file but run the security privilege sets from there?

• 13. Re: Security level for 1 db but not the other
                                  philmodjunk

By files, I mean database files. And that is what you are describing in your last post, otherwise, they couldn't be in two different places on your network.

It sounds like the table of the layout where you are seeing "no access" is not the same table for which you set up the privilege set. But also make sure that the account that you used to open the file is really an account with the right privilege set too.

Note that a layout can specify one table in Layout Setup in Show Records From, but display data from another table--perhaps via a portal. So you might get a "No Access" result if the layout's table is a table for which you have not granted access even though it is set up to display data form the table where you did permit access.