5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2009 4:50 AM by nettle223

Security of FileMaker Pro

nettle223

Title

Security of FileMaker Pro

Hi,

I'm planning to implement Filemaker for fairly sensative data (personal records) and want to ensure I protect the data as much as possible.  Any suggestions on what I can do to ensure the databases don't get hacked? (Obviosuly, I will create secure passwords).  Also, can anyone suggest a secur, or good hosting providers.  I found 888.net, and they look OK- also a plus is they offer free hosting to non-profits.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Security of FileMaker Pro
          kapitaen_1

hi nettle,

giving good and long passwords to protect filemaker is the only thing you can do. Use at least 10 characters, mixing characters, numbers, spezial characters. That is enough.

Oops, ehm, yes, it is enough as long as you ensure that the data files will not go to the wrong persons. There are too many password recovery tools for filemaker available, a simple google search will find them. But they all need direct access to yout .fp7 files. 

So i think there is some work to do by the filemaker people to implement a better and stronger encryption in version 11.

greetings from germany

Chris 

• 2. Re: Security of FileMaker Pro
            nettle223

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the message.  One other question... by posting one of the databases to the web (using their instant web option), am I subjecting the database to any harm?  Is there any added protection by using a FileMaker Pro Server?  How does File maker access the data through the web browser?  Does it go through a set of quires (Protected by pass-through security by the server, and then display onto the web browser?)  

Oh, also turns out that 888.net charges to host Filemaker databases (Just free to non-profits to host webpages).

Thanks again for the response,

Arin

• 3. Re: Security of FileMaker Pro
              TSGal

nettle223:

Thank you for your posts.

FileMaker Pro has the ability to set accounts and privileges.  Depending on an account, the user may not be able to view certain fields and/or layouts.  This way, when someone logs in via a browser, they would not see certain fields and/or layouts, as that information is not passed over the network.

FileMaker Pro Server just hosts the files.  You can access the files via FileMaker Pro, JDBC/ODBC or via web publishing.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Security of FileMaker Pro
                kapitaen_1

hi nettle,

as long as you keep the physical .fp7 file on a filemaker server (either at your site, or at a hoster) there is no way make a copy of them. So they are safe. But you must have strong passwords (long, mixing chars, numbers, spezial chars).

And you must keep *your* copy of the file secure and dont give them to the wrong persons. Having the physical .fp7, it is a matter of minutes to crack the password.

greetings from germany

Chris 

• 5. Re: Security of FileMaker Pro
                  nettle223

Thanks for all the responses!  The information definitely helps!