7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2011 1:29 AM by rmen

Security/ Password query

rmen

Title

Security/ Password query

I'm creating 2 user accounts and 2 custom privilege sets for use by 2 groups of people.  All worked except, when I logout and log back in, the passwords assigned to the accounts other than the admin account aren't what I assigned.  I can't see what the characters are but the passwords seem a lot longer.  I now cannot log on using the new accounts.  Why is this, please?

Ram

• 1. Re: Security/ Password query
          Kays

heyy rmen,

do filemaker ask for a new password every time you try to login ?

K|Z

• 2. Re: Security/ Password query
            philmodjunk

Passwords are case sensitive. Are you sure you are capitalizing your password in the same fashion that you used when you set them up?

The number of bullets you see when you open up Manage | Security is set to show a standard number of bullets that have nothing to do with the number of password characters entered. That's just an added security feature to help keep passwords private.

Since you have admin access, if all else fails, you can redefine the passwords and their privilege sets.

• 3. Re: Security/ Password query
              rmen

Thanks

Kays Khelifa, no it doesn't ask for a new password.  Only when I try to open with the account where I specified this in account settings.

PhileModJunk,

I use the 'Admin' account to set passwords.  This is my account.  For the 'PainAdmin' account, I have set greater privileges and insist the password is changed at first login.  On logging in with this account using my set password, the database straight away asks for a new one, suggesting that things are ok.

Logging into the privilege-poor 'PainAssess' account however, the bulletted password field appears.  I enter the password set by me but this brings up the error message- "you do not have sufficient privileges to open this account".  If I click OK to that error message twice, the database opens up anyhow! And it's the 'PainAssess' database.  Why does it let me do that?

Do I need to select a specific privilege to help the 'PainAssess' account holder?

Then, when i leave this screen, I get this window 'Confirm Full Access Login'.  I presume it wants the admin account holder's login details..

<Since you have admin access, if all else fails, you can redefine the passwords and their privilege sets>  I have set the password (in correct case) many times now with the same result as above.

• 4. Re: Security/ Password query
                philmodjunk

Logging into the privilege-poor 'PainAssess' account however, the bulletted password field appears.  I enter the password set by me but this brings up the error message- "you do not have sufficient privileges to open this account".  If I click OK to that error message twice, the database opens up anyhow! And it's the 'PainAssess' database.  Why does it let me do that?

Are you saying that you log in and then get the same password dialog all over again? Either that or Show Custom Dialog is being popped up to ask for a password in a script. Do you have a script that runs when the file opens? I suspect this script is encountering access limitations set by the PainAssess account's more limited privilege set or something. You'll need to figure out what actions in that script are tripping the error message. It may be that the "run with full access privileges" option needs to be set on this script.

Then, when i leave this screen, I get this window 'Confirm Full Access Login'.  I presume it wants the admin account holder's login details..

How did that window open?

• 5. Re: Security/ Password query
                  rmen

OK, I need to rephrase that.  

When I attempt to open the database using the account 'PainAssess' and a previously set password, the error message says' Your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action.'  If I click ok once, the error message window blinks, if I click again, the databse opens in 'PainAssess' account view.  I close the file.

Now I open the database using my 'Admin' account.  I reset the password for the 'PainAssess' account.  When I close that window, I get the instruction to' Confirm Full Access Login' and 'Please enter an account name and password that you know can be used to open this filewith full access privileges'.  I presume here it's asking me to enter my Admin account and password and I do.  The window goes away and I'm in the database.  

If I then try to open the file using the 'PainAdmin' password (note I haven't changed the password in Admin mode, just re-entered the same one) , the same error message appears..

• 6. Re: Security/ Password query
                    philmodjunk

Do you have a script that is set to run when you open the file?

That may very well be the source of the error messages that you are seeing. It would seem that this script is tripping some security access problem twice before the script completes execution. You should examine this script to see what actions the script takes that your user's privilege set prohibits. THen you can either modify the script to avoid these actions when the PainAsses account is used to access the databas or you can select the "run will full access privileges" option for the script so that it will run as though the file were opened with a full access account.

• 7. Re: Security/ Password query
                      rmen

Right on the money, PhilModJunk!

There are 2 scripts a/w the Startup layout.  When I disabled one, the database opened after one click on the OK button on the error window.  When I disabled the next, the account opened straightaway.

It's a learning process.