AnsweredAssumed Answered

Seeking script to merge one record to word 2010

Question asked by EzShaffren on Jan 22, 2013
Latest reply on Oct 24, 2013 by bukimelman

Title

Seeking script to merge one record to word 2010

I am relatively new at scripting and am seeking help to write a script that will take specified fields from one record in FMP 12 to specific fields in a pre-written microsoft word 2010 template.

Each record is a new client and I want to send a pre-written retainer agreement to each one as they retain us.  I want a button on the layout that will take certain fields from the record and merge it with the name, address...of the fields in the retainer agreement.  I know how to export the fields I want to a merge document, and then open the word document and merge those fields into the word document, but I don't know how to make a button that will do it all itself and just result in a finalized word document ready to be saved to the new client folder in the cloud we use.  I think one option is to just make a layout with the text I want in a text box and use fields for the merge fields, but then I think it results in a pdf.  I need it in word so I can make changes to the retainer if they need to be made on a case-by-case basis.  Like I said, I can do it without a script, but I need a script to open word, send the merge fields to the specified fields in word, and insert them in the proper location.  I know that the 'send event' script opens word, but I can't figure out any more than that.  Please help. Thanks.

system:

windows 7

filemaker pro 12

word 2010

Outcomes