2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2013 10:06 AM by skoubi

Select from List Layout / Paste contents of related selection/record to another layout

skoubi

Title

Select from List Layout / Paste contents of related selection/record to another layout

Hi all !

I'm new to filemaker and still trying to find my way around.

What I have in my DB so far:

Tables: Cust_Data (name,address,phone etc.)

Offer_PC (checkboxes linked with prices)

What I want to do is: Before creating a new record to make a new pc offer, I want to select through a list layout the customer I want, and show the customer data in the Offer_PC layout, before proceeding to check the boxes.

I have created a List layout (shows data from Cust_Data) and created a button from the available customers shown there. I tried to create a script attached to the button that copies the related record data to the Offer_PC layout (with or without a portal) but so far I haven't succeeded.

Could you point me the right way on how to do such a select/copy script ?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Select from List Layout / Paste contents of related selection/record to another layout
          philmodjunk

Well I wouldn't necessarily copy any customer data if I were you. I'd link the new Offer_PC record to a specific record in Cust_Data via a relationship and then I can display that data. That said, sometimes you want to capture a copy of that data because you want to know what data for that customer was current at the time the offer was made and don't want it to change when a customer's contact info changes at a later date.

Either way, the first requirement is to set up a relationship linking the two tables. FileMaker, after all, is a Relational database system.

First add an auto-entered serial number field, __pkCustomerID to your .

Set up this relationship:

Cust_Data----<Offer_PC

Cust_Data::__pkCustomerID = Offer_PC::_fkCustomerID

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

Then a button on your Cust_Data layout can perform a script such as this:

Set Variable [$CustID ; value: Cust_Data::__pkCustomerID ]
               Go to Layout [ "Offer_PC" (Offer_Pc ) ]
               New Record/Request
               Set Field [Offer_PC::_fkCustomerID ; $CustID ]

That script creates a new record in Offer_PC and links it to the clicked Cust_Data record from the previous layout.

Then see this link for a discussion of the two options (copy or link) for showing customer data on your offer pc layout: Auto Fill

• 2. Re: Select from List Layout / Paste contents of related selection/record to another layout
            skoubi

Thanx a lot Phil, for your prompt and right on spot answer !

Edit:  Also the follow up link for autofilling the rest of the record data was very helpful ! Only difference was, I used merge fields to show the rest of the data.