3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2010 6:24 PM by deltatango

Select printer still not working in FMP 10

Will

Title

Select printer still not working in FMP 10

There has been a documented history of problems selecting a network printer.  Answer ID 5920  suggests this problem was resolved with FMP 10. Curerntly I have FMP 10 Advanced on Windows 7 and OS X 10.5 and on both platforms I am unable to print to the specified printer even when a Print Setup diaolog immediately preceeds the Print statement. In the Print Setup I can select printer 1 and it will print to printer 2. 

On the Mac the only way to change the output printer is via System Preferences as the Print Setup dialog seems to make zero difference.

On Windows the Print Setup dialog works as expected on my system in which I have one network printer and one USB printer. My client with two network printers cannot direct the output.

I have made lots of dumb programming errors in the past, but it would seem like this is a serious FMP 10 problem. 

I would appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks,

Will

• 1. Re: Select printer still not working in FMP 10
          TSGal

Sahalu:

Thank you for your post.

I have a few printers available to me.  I have scripts set up for each printer.  My scripts specify the printer in the Print Setup, and also specify the printer in the Print statement.  This works on my Windows XP, Mac OS X 10.5.8, and Mac OS X 10.6.2 machines.

Let me know what printer you are using on your Mac system, and I will try to replicate the problem here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Select printer still not working in FMP 10
            RickWhitelaw

On a Mac at least, but I suspect it's the same on a PC, the printer is not chosen in the PrintSetup script step. I've made this mistake before. In the PrintSetup step there's a selection "Format For" and the choices are: whichever printers are detected by the system, and "Any Printer". Although it seems you've chosen a printer, you have not. This is a formatting option on the same page where orientation and page size are selected. The printer is chosen in the "Print" step.This is where you specify the number of copies and THE PRINTER as well as several other settings. If you choose settings the step will show up as Print(Restore) in your script. Filemaker will "remember" and print to the correct printer.

RW 

• 3. Re: Select printer still not working in FMP 10
              deltatango
                 Rick, thanks for this important data. I did not know this and thought it was vice-versa.