5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2009 6:46 AM by mwc_1

Select records and saving as separate database?

jprint714

Title

Select records and saving as separate database?

Hi,
      I have one central FMP database that I use for all of my contacts, and am wondering what the easiest way is to select particular records, group them together, and save them as a separate  database.  Ideas / suggestions...?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Select records and saving as separate database?

2 possible methods: 

1) FInd the records you'd want to save to a separate database (i suppose they're all in one table) and choose and choose "export records" from the file-menu. Choose a name an save as a FilemakerPro file. Choose the fields you'd like the database to contain and hit the export button.

2) If you wish to save these records in a copy the current database, the just duplicate the current database. Open teh cope and find the records you want to save and then "find teh omitted record". Then throw that set of records away.

• 2. Re: Select records and saving as separate database?
            jprint714

Thanks for your help! Really appreciate it...

I might want to share select records w/ someone, but not most of the contents of my database.  I wish there was a way to select particular records in the list or grid view (i.e., w/o having to find and select particular records).  I'm also trying to figure out solutions w/ how best to interface DevonThink software w/ FMP.  Any ideas?

Thanks again for your help!

• 3. Re: Select records and saving as separate database?
              mwc_1

jprint714 wrote:

I wish there was a way to select particular records in the list or grid view (i.e., w/o having to find and select particular records).

Make a new field called FLAG or MARK....make it a checkbox selection and place it on your list view. Check away, then find the checked items.

...then possibly add a script to 'uncheck' all the record for next use...

• 4. Re: Select records and saving as separate database?
                jprint714

Excellent.  Thanks!  Is there any way in which I can set up such a box to ensure it appears in a grid view?  

Thanks again... 

• 5. Re: Select records and saving as separate database?
                  mwc_1

jprint714 wrote:

Excellent.  Thanks!  Is there any way in which I can set up such a box to ensure it appears in a grid view?  

Thanks again... 

Assuming you mean TABLE VIEW here.Yes. Edit the layout field to display as checkbox, it displays as such in the TABLE VIEW as well.

FYI

- Make a new field called FLAG

- Make a new value list like VL_FLAG with only a single or blank value or whatever you want to label the checkboxes.

- Find/Select the field on your layout and go FORMAT-->Field Control-->Setup

- Select to disply as checkbox set, and select your value list.