7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2012 5:08 AM by philmodjunk

Select records to be put into a report.(CERTIFICATION PACK)

JessOttman_2

Title

Select records to be put into a report.(CERTIFICATION PACK)

Hi,

I Have a database with a form view which has one record per hose.I currently have another database set up many many years ago with 15 repeating fields to certifiy 15 hoses per page (acting like a report view) here is my query:

I would like to be able to select a number of records in my hose database to copy over to the cerification database. Now i can create a new certification database or just a table in the hose databse for the purpose of cerifying the hoses, rather than use the old one with repeating fields.

At the beginning of each year a new database is created and the old ones are kept for the purpose of tracking hoses through the years.

I f any other info is required i will gladly try to provide as much as i can

Many thanks

Jess Ottman

• 1. Re: Select records to be put into a report.(CERTIFICATION PACK)
          philmodjunk

Why do you need a separate table for the report? A list view layout can list multiple records on a single page so this sounds like a report you can create with a layout based on your current table.

At the beginning of each year a new database is created and the old ones are kept for the purpose of tracking hoses through the years.

There's no need for that. Your records can include a date--or at least the year and then you can keep all your data in one file. Finds/sorts/relationshiops etc can control whether you are looking at the current year's data or data from previous years. Among other things, this makes it possible to create reports that compare data on your hoses across multiple years.

• 2. Re: Select records to be put into a report.(CERTIFICATION PACK)
            JessOttman_2

Thank you for your reply,

You see when we have to create a certification pack we need a layout for the coc / sep / test certificate / soc / these certs are saying to the customer what materials were used for the making of the hose, who made it, what its test pressure was and it is signed then by the quality assurance manager.We have 4 layouts for this database and the layouts need to be presentable.and in actual fact from our hose database we do indeed print off a list view for the end of the pack so the customer can see all hoses included to the cert pack. There is also a certs index for each cert pack done and it is done in excel

With regards the creation of new files, they have been creating new files each year for more than 10 years and im afraid i cant do much to change their mind about the system.

I would like to make to whole process more automated so as to not have three different files open and resort to copy and paste,

any ideas much appreciated

Jess Ottman

• 3. Re: Select records to be put into a report.(CERTIFICATION PACK)
              philmodjunk

I see nothing in your post that requires a separate table nor repeating fields to do what you need here.

With regards to your separate files issue for each year, you might quietly set up a version of your database that keeps all the data, but uses a script to generate the separate files for each year. Then, as the opportunity arises, you can use the single combined file to do things that they can't do with their separate files. Build in enough power and convenience to the combined data file and the separate files might just get relegated to an "archival back up" role...

• 4. Re: Select records to be put into a report.(CERTIFICATION PACK)
                JessOttman_2

Thank you for the advice on the spereate file issue i will indeed try to begin work on this and try to sway people to the idea.

With regards the certification i have attached a png file of our coc cert this was created regretably with repeating fields and i cannot do alot in the way of making the process of creating a cert pack more user friendly and automated.

If there were some kind of a button to trigger a script which could copy and import records to a file where all the info about the hoses etc is all there and all there is to do is print.

I have done a schedule which does this so i might be able to use some aspects of the script for this purpose.

Thank you for all your help and ideas

• 5. Re: Select records to be put into a report.(CERTIFICATION PACK)
                  philmodjunk

Sorry to keep saying the same thing, but your certificate layout can be done with a list view layout based on your current table where you have, as I understand it, one record for each hose. Everything above the list of hoses goes into the header, everything below goes into a footer and you size the body to be one row of these fields tall and place the fields in them.

Then perform a find for the desired records and select list View as the view option. Print using the records being browsed option.

• 6. Re: Select records to be put into a report.(CERTIFICATION PACK)
                    JessOttman_2

Hi

Yes I have created a layout for that and it does seem to be working very well.Thank you for your help. I have one ither query though, about saving as PDF.

We intend to create the majority of our certs in pdf form. Athough i have worked with saving as pdf before i was wondering when setting up the destination folder, is there a way to auto arrange them and to also have a name input to the dialog box each time?

The idea is to have all certificates ready whenever a customer requires a cert pack so to look up by the serial number and drag to adobe professional to collate.

• 7. Re: Select records to be put into a report.(CERTIFICATION PACK)
                      philmodjunk

See this thread for a step by step description of using Save As PDF in a script: Found Sets to PDF with unique file names