3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 3:14 PM by philmodjunk

Select related record of child table in portal

MrBond

Title

Select related record of child table in portal

Hi!

I have four tables which are connected as follows:

A < B > C < D

In the layout of table A i have a portal which is displaying the records of table B. In this portal I have also a field where I can select a record of C and another field where I can select a related record of D. The value of table D is stored in the field of table B. When I change the record in the layout of table D it doesn't affect the stored value in table B. How can it be done that a change of a record in table D will also affect the record in table B?

• 1. Re: Select related record of child table in portal
          philmodjunk

Anytime that you copy data from a related table, that copy will not automatically update should you modify the original. If, however, you establish a link to a record in a related table, you can then place a field from the related table in your portal row and now your data will update.

But this will set up a one to one or many to one relationship, not the one to many relationship that you have described.

See here for more info:Auto Fill

• 2. Re: Select related record of child table in portal
            MrBond

Hi Phil!

As always, thank you for your quick response! 
            Well, I have linked those tables as described. But when I plase a field of the related table in the portal row (join table), then I can not add or select content in that field in the portal row. It is locked. Why that?

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Select related record of child table in portal
              philmodjunk

Perhaps because no record from that table is yet linked to the join table record? And maybe "allow creation of records via this relationship" is not enabled for the table into which you are trying to enter data?

Sometimes, you need buttons and scripts to better manage what you need to do when adding records and also linking them in to a join table.