1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 8, 2015 3:12 AM by Kaps_1

Select row in one portal and show related rows in another portal on the same layout.

MyronJones

Title

Select row in one portal and show related rows in another portal on the same layout.

I have a table of student names and a table of student grades on particular assignments.  The student table and the assignment table are related through a join table.  The join table is the table of student grades.  I want to be able to select a student's name in one portal on a layout and have all that student's grades appear in another portal on the same layout.  I've successfully been able to select particular portal rows, but I've not been able to get that students scores to show in the second portal.  Can someone direct me to a tutorial or provide some guidance on how to do this?

• 1. Re: Select row in one portal and show related rows in another portal on the same layout.
          Kaps_1

Hi,

Assume that you have three tables:-

1) Master table consisting of two fields Master id and Selected Name (Global)

2) Student names consisting of two fields Student id (serial) and Student Name

3) Student grades consisting of four fields Student Grade id (serial) , Student name, and Subject and result

create the following relationships:-

Master table::Master id X Student Name

Master table: Selected Name = Student Grades:: Student name

4) create a layout based on master table and set up two portals one based on student grade and the other on student names

5) on the student name portal, write a script so that when the student name is pressed the followingh action takes place:-

set field Master table:selected name = Student Grades:: Student name

thanks

Kaps