2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2009 9:35 AM by etripoli

Selecting fields from a set to be "enabled" or used in other layouts

timothy2k

Title

Selecting fields from a set to be "enabled" or used in other layouts

So, I have a layout from the table "Estimate" where several quantities of a product are entered.

In the end, one or many of the quantities may be chosen after quoted pricing has been entered for them. What is the best method to "enable" only the quantities I want to be used on other layouts while leaving the others for reference?

For example:

I have quantities of

1000, 2500, 5000, and 10000 with quoted prices of $100.00, $150.00, $200.00, and $250.00 respectively.  I want to have a check box (or whatever method you guys recommend) to choose the quantities I want to move forward with. So if I check 2500 and 1000, those will be enabled and put onto a purchase order, with the corresponding prices ($150.00, and $250.00).  the other quantities and prices will stay on the Estimate record for reference, but not be "enabled" for any other calculations or layouts.

Thanks for any advice!

Tim

• 1. Re: Selecting fields from a set to be "enabled" or used in other layouts
          philmodjunk

I'm assuming each quoted amount is in a separate related record--probably displayed in a portal.

Once you've used a check box or other field to "mark" the values they want you can use either a filtered portal or a find to isolate just the selected quote amounts. The basic logic in each case is the same. With a find, you'd specify two criteria (one to identify the original invoice or quote and one to specify just the records with the "selected" value). With a filtered portal, you include a second pair of fields so that only those records with the same parent record ID AND the selected value will appear in the portal.

For more on Filtered portals see: How to filter records to be displayed in the portal?

• 2. Re: Selecting fields from a set to be "enabled" or used in other layouts
            etripoli
               A field, with multiple values, such as assigned by a checkbox set, can be used in relationships, where each value is almost treated like a 'repeating' value.  So if you check the boxes for 2500 and 1000, for a field in the Estimates table, it can show the two related records from the item table, or be used in calculations.  Additionally, a dynamic value list could be created based on the quoted quantities and prices.