1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 6:23 PM by johnandmariaegan@gmail.com

selecting fields in a portal row

johnandmariaegan@gmail.com

Title

selecting fields in a portal row

New to filemaker, so please be patient.

I,m trying to build a new data base from another.

When I have a portal row that is the only one, I have no trouble copy/paste fields in it to the new data base.

However, when I need to select one row from more than one portalrow, the programme selects the first field in the row as expected, then for the remaining fields it reverts to the first row.

How do I make it use the fields in the selected portal row?

• 1. Re: selecting fields in a portal row
          philmodjunk

Copy and pasting from one database to another could be accomplished in more than one way and might not be necessary at all. Can you describe in more detail what you are trying to do and why?

• 2. Re: selecting fields in a portal row

I have one complete Data base of the members of an organisation.

Within that organisation is a group that has a growing number of persons as they opt in.

I wish to build a new data base of this new group using both the details from the larger group and some extra details that pertain only to the new group.

So for example Jim Smith may opt in. Rather than retyping his details, I wish to transfer those details to the new database automatically.

Its fine if there is only one  Smith appearing from the larger data base, but when there are several it becomes a problem.

I can select the appropriate row. The programme picks up the first field from the selected portal row, but for the second and subsequent fields it reverts to the first portal row.

Thanks for your reply. I hope this is easier to follow.

• 3. Re: selecting fields in a portal row
              philmodjunk

Still need more information.

Ideally, you should not have the same name and contact information in more than one table, but should instead link records in other tables as needed to the records in such a table of contacts.

Can you provide even more detail about what you have set up. I suggest avoiding the use of the word database, but instead use the terms, table and file. "Database" when used to describe a FileMaker Database System isn't precise enough to tell us much about your design.

If you have more than one table and they are linked in relationships, as you must have in order to have a portal, please describe how they are related to each other.

Simply copying and pasting multiple portal rows, unlike a subform in MS Access, is not possible, so we have set up something with a script that accomplishes the same result. There are a number of possible options for doing this and the more we know about your current design and intended purposes, the better we will be able to suggest an approach that works for you.

• 4. Re: selecting fields in a portal row

I have one complete Data base of the members of an organisation.

Within that organisation is a group that has a growing number of persons as they opt in.

I wish to build a new data base of this new group using both the details from the larger group and some extra details that pertain only to the new group.

So for example Jim Smith may opt in. Rather than retyping his details, I wish to transfer those details to the new database automatically.

Its fine if there is only one  Smith appearing from the larger data base, but when there are several it becomes a problem.

I can select the appropriate row. The programme picks up the first field from the selected portal row, but for the second and subsequent fields it reverts to the first portal row.

Thanks for your reply. I hope this is easier to follow.

• 5. Re: selecting fields in a portal row
                  philmodjunk

Simply repeating your last post without providing any additional new detail does not help me to help you.

The simplest way to manage group membership is by linking in a related table or two. Use one table if a person can only be a member of one group. Use two tables--one a join--table if a person can be a member of more than one group.

Such "links" are managed via relationships based on a serial ID field. This avoids issues with names that can be duplicates of others and which are subject to being changed from time to time.

• 6. Re: selecting fields in a portal row

Thanks again. As you can see I am really new at this.

There are two tables, and they are related by the Field "name"

Do i need to relate all the fields ?

The source table? is the complete record set, and the master table ? is the one being built.

The source file "name ' is liked to the master file "name"

I am hoping to select a portal row, then have the field information  in that row  be transfered to the master file.

Thanks again.

• 7. Re: selecting fields in a portal row

Yes sorry about that Pressed the wrong button in my haste!

• 8. Re: selecting fields in a portal row
                        philmodjunk

Don't match by names in a relationship. Names are not unique and people change their names. You should match by a serial number field instead to avoid those issues.

I need to know the answer to this question: Can a person be a member of more than one group?

If membership in one group excludes membership in other groups we can use one related table to show group membership. If a person can be a member of more than one group, we need an additional table.

• 9. Re: selecting fields in a portal row

Yes, the person can be a member of both groups.

The source table is the whole membership of the organisation, the master table includes some of the total membership belonging to a sub group.

Eg The source table is a list of all parents, the master table is these same parents who can do tuckshop duties.

• 10. Re: selecting fields in a portal row
                            philmodjunk

Ok, then you need these tables and relationships:

Parents---<Parent_Group>-----Groups

Parents::ParentID = Parent_Group::ParentID

Groups::GroupID = Parent_Group::GroupID

This is called a many to many relationship.

To link the record of a given parent to a specific group, you create a record in Parent_Group with that Parent Record's ParentID and the selected Group Record's group ID.

Here's a download link to a demo file of this concept. (It links contacts to events, but you'd just rename those tables to get what I am describing here): http://www.4shared.com/file/dZ0bjclw/ManyToManywDemoWExtras.html

• 11. Re: selecting fields in a portal row

Any way I can send you the files? I have not been successful trying the above, and I think I am not explaining myself well.

Thanks for your patience.

• 12. Re: selecting fields in a portal row
                                philmodjunk

If you want, you can post the file to a file sharing site and then post the download link to it here. Just make sure not to upload a copy with data that is sensitive, save a clone and maybe create a few phony example records if that's the case.

• 13. Re: selecting fields in a portal row

Thanks for that.

The two data bases (or tables?) that I am trying to work with are at the following

http://www.mediafire.com/?gbykp1h4km7wx2b

and

http://www.mediafire.com/?yx4lvrxlxv1g40v

• 14. Re: selecting fields in a portal row
                                    philmodjunk

I've looked at the files.

I see a portal to "club members" on the data entry layout linked by a 'surname' field. This set up will only allow a given club member record to link to a single Club record in the main file. The same record could not be linked to more than one club. If you intend to allow the same person to be a member of more than one club, you need to add a join table to manage club membership as I have already recommended.

It could look like this in Manage | Database | Relationships:

Contacts-----<Membership>------Clubs

Clubs::ClubID = Membership::ClubID

Fields in contacts would record a member's name, address, email, phone, etc.

Fields in Clubs, would document the name, address, and other details of that club.

Membership would have the linking fields to the other two tables and, if needed, any additional fields used to record data specific to that contact record being a member of that specific club. The date they joined, their current status, etc are examples of data you might enter in the membership table.

This is exactly the structure, of the demo file, but with different names. Change the name of the Event table to "Clubs" and Event_Contact to "membership" and it will nearly exactly what I am describing here.

On a side note: matching to your club members table by surname is not likely to work out well for you, you can easily have many members with the same surname and they all will match to each other when this is the case.

If you want the ability to select a group of contact records and make them all members of a specific club in one batch operation, this can certainly be set up to take place, but you need to get the correct database structure set up first before we discuss how to do that.

1 2 Previous Next