3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2010 9:26 PM by Jeff123

Selecting image name and showing the image

Jeff123

Title

Selecting image name and showing the image

I am having a terrible time trying to figure something out. What I want to do is this (I'll try to be as descriptive as possible, so you have an idea of my concept):

Side 1:

A portal with a few rows (I know how to do that).  These rows will have only one field, and that will be the image name.  I have this portal looking up records from a table called "floor plans".  I also have the table related to my main table called "main table" (I'm not creative).  I then have a button that works that will insert the picture and then I can see the name on my side 1 portal.

Side 2:

A portal with just 1 row showing that is large enough to have the separate field for the image.  Right now the records are from the same table called "floor plans", however I did attempt to create a related table called "floor plan images"... needless to say it didn't work.

What I would like to do is be able to select the image name (a row from side 1), and have that particular image show up in the field on side 2.  Right now I can see the photo names in side one but only can see the last photo added in side 2.

Is this possible?  Can it can be done using easy or intermediate steps (as in I don't need a degree in Filemaker to understand the directions on how to do it! :P) 

Thanks, this forum and you guys have helped me out sooooo much. 

• 1. Re: Selecting image name and showing the image
          littledog

Download and try THIS application.

You can add portal to show Image names. 

• 2. Re: Selecting image name and showing the image
            philmodjunk

You need two relationships: one for your list of images and one for your selected image.

Let's say your image list portal refers to a table occurrence called Images and it has a serial number ID field called ImageID. We'll call your main table "parent".

Define a new field in parent, ImageSelect (you can make this a global field if you want.)

Make a second table occurrence to your Images table called SelectedImage. (Click the Images Table Occurrence box in Manage | Database | Relationships and then click the button with two overlapping plus signs.)

Drag to make a relationship: Parent::ImageSelect = SelectedImage::ImageID

Now base your second portal on SelectedImage.

Write a script and attach it to a button in the image list portal:

Set Field [Parent::ImageSelect; Images::ImageID]

That should do it.

You can add a conditional format to your Image List portal's fields to change the fill color and thus highlight them if they were the last image name to be clicked:

use

as the condition in your conditional format.

• 3. Re: Selecting image name and showing the image
              Jeff123

Littledog,

Thank you, that did help me get the idea of what I wanted to do.

PhilModJunk,

I followed you directions and it worked perfectly! thank you!