5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2013 8:22 AM by philmodjunk

Selecting multiple valules in a dropdown dox

SeanMcCann

Title

Selecting multiple valules in a dropdown dox

Is there any way you can select multiple values in a dropdown box?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Selecting multiple valules in a dropdown dox
          JimMac

To select multiple values in a drop-down list  is possible for sure in MacOS.  I am not sure about Windows.

1) when the list "drops down", hold down the "Command" key and mouse click 1 or more items in the list to SELECT.

2) Hit ENTER key when done,

This can select non sequential items in the list.

To select a range of items in both Window and MacOS platforms...

1) with list down, hold down the Shift key to select a range of values.

2) hit Enter key when done.

Jim...

• 2. Re: Selecting multiple valules in a dropdown dox
            philmodjunk

Control and shift can be used as modifier keys with drop down lists in windows.

But I don't consider a layout design that requires making multiple value selections ideal. The multiple selections thus made are concealed from the user once they exit the drop down and can't be viewed unless the user pulls it down again.

• 3. Re: Selecting multiple valules in a dropdown dox
              JimMac

@Phil  I have used it quite sucessfully when the list of item is say 15 items and I want to avoid a check box layout of 3x5 dimension. It does save layout space when needed.  Make your layout field a bit larger to show all or at least 2 to show mulitple drop down selections.

I admit it is a little known FACT, but the USER's have been known to inadvertantly select a range of items for sure.  This is why I stress use pop up menus when you want to pick JUST ONE. { this is logical OR or radio button behavior}

The Drop-Down List can pict MORE than one.  {this is logical AND or check box behavior}

Jim...

• 4. Re: Selecting multiple valules in a dropdown dox
                SeanMcCann

cheers Jim very helpful

• 5. Re: Selecting multiple valules in a dropdown dox
                  philmodjunk

My criticism of using a drop down list in this fashion is that users can't SEE their selections once they exit the field. Thus, possibly critical data is concealed from the user unless they pull down the menu and look. Yes, it saves layout real estate, but it can also produce a significant increase in the chance of user errors in many situations.