AnsweredAssumed Answered

Selecting records and creating a new child record linked to selected records

Question asked by ShaneB on Aug 8, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 26, 2013 by ShaneB

Title

Selecting records and creating a new child record linked to selected records

My database is designed around Observation records, which users select and group together to create new Observation records. I am recording this in my database on a simple table that has child_id and a parent_id fields.

As an example, observation ids 3, 15, 25, and 45 might be used as the parents of a new child observation, id 55. And observation ids 4,12, and 23 might be used as the parents of observation 56. So it would look like this on the table:

Users need to be able to select records and say "make a new observation based on these records", which will then populate the table with the information. I therefore have a few questions about this:

1) How can users "select" records, besides just searching for them? For instance, if a user runs a search, but only wants to use a few records from the search for a new child record, is there a way to do this in the FM interface?

2) Once records are refined to a found set of some sort, through a search or a selection, how can I create the option for a user to "make a new record based on these records"? I essentially need FM to make a new record and populate the o_child_id with the new serial number of the new record, and populate the o_parent_id with all of the serial numbers of the records that were selected.

Outcomes