4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2013 12:40 PM by rouelf_1

Selections Greyed Out in Insert Menu

rouelf_1

Title

Selections Greyed Out in Insert Menu

I have a container in a portal with "Interactive" selected. If I click on the container to select it, then go to the Insert menu, Audio/Movie and PDF is greyed out. I also have another layout with the same container also with Interactive selected, but not in portal. If I click on this container, the Insert menu has QuickTime and Sound greyed out.

Yet more, … on another layout with different container (also in a portal) and Interactive selected, as before, the Insert menu has Audio/Movie and PDF greyed out. But in another layout with this same container (not in a portal) and Interactive, then the Audio/Movie and PDF are greed out. This is different than what occurs above.

This solution was ported from fp7 to fmp12 and uses a custom menu, using OSX; however these issues are also present when I deselect the custom menu and use the Standard Menu. ...Is there a problem here ?

Since the insert File option is available, I seem to be able to insert any file without ill effect, that is files in the interactive container behave properly. Movies play, sound files play, pdf files display, photos display, in short no problem there.

• 1. Re: Selections Greyed Out in Insert Menu
          philmodjunk

Interactive options are not available when the container field is located in a portal. Thus, the menu options that require the interactive optimization are greyed out.

the Insert menu has QuickTime and Sound greyed out.

Do you have QuickTime installed on this computer? Do you have the needed hardware to record sound?

• 2. Re: Selections Greyed Out in Insert Menu
            rouelf_1

My appologies if I was not clear. In the first paragraph above, for the conatiner in the portal, in the Insert menu, Audio/Movie and PDF is greyed out, but not Quicktime, nor Sound, nor Picture, nor PDF. But for the same container in a different layout and not in a portal, Quicktime and Sound are greyed out, but not Audio/Video, nor Picture, nor File, nor PDF. Therefore, yes Quicktime is installed, and I can create / insert a sound file into the container in the portal.

• 3. Re: Selections Greyed Out in Insert Menu
              philmodjunk

Then I can explain this for the first layout, but not the second.

• 4. Re: Selections Greyed Out in Insert Menu
                rouelf_1

OK, am stumped, containers in FM12 still confuse me. To understand the differences, created a new test file in FM 12 Adv. One layout, no portals. Added two container fields. One optimized for Images; the other optimized for Interactive. Then looked at the Insert menu for each container. Result: Container Optimized for Images: Audio/Video and PDF is greyed out. Container Optimized for Interactive: QuickTime and Sound is greyed out.

Since this is the way it is, I will accept it is what it is. I guess my confusion stems for reading and expecting that you can insert all options (from the Insert menu) into containers, but there are conditions with differing results. And yes, you can use Insert File to insert any file into a container with different results depending on what the container is optimized for, and whether it is in a portal or not. Lets hope Filemaker will improve by simplifying this variation in container behavior.

As for the result in my second paragraph in the first post, well, I will just let it go at this time since a using a script to insert seems to aliviate my confusion.

Thanks for your response.