2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2009 2:32 AM by rob99

selective mailmerge

rob99

Title

selective mailmerge

I used to use an Access database (set up by someone else) where I just clicked in a field to indicate which record/person in a table i wanted to send the mailshot or whatever to. I am now using Filemaker 10Pro and am setting up a new database and want to do it so as to make this selective mailmerge as easy as possible later. I am completely new to this application. What do you advise?

• 1. Re: selective mailmerge
          TSGal

rob99:

Thank you for your post.

One of the features of FileMaker Pro is the ability to send emails via your default mail client or via SMTP.  With your database file open, pull down the File menu and select "Send Mail..."  At the top, you have the option to send via "E-mail client" or "SMTP Server".  You can send either one email using data from the current record, or multiple emails for each record in the found set.  You will see entries for "To:", "CC:", "BCC:", "Subject" and "Message".  You can enter static text, or you can press the arrow to the far right of these fields and specify a field or calculation.

Most likely, you won't want to do this manually each time, so you can put this information into a "script", and then call that script at any time.  Pull down the Scripts menu and select "Manage Scripts..."  Click the icon in the bottom left corner that says "New", and a new script dialog box will appear.  On the left side are your commands.  Name this script "EMAIL" (we can always change or delete this later), and then scroll down the list on the left side until you see "Send Mail" (it's almost at the bottom).  Double-click it and it will appear on the right side.  You can then set up your options here.  When finished, it will appear in the Scripts menu.

You can create a button on the layout that when clicked, executes this script.

There is a lot of information here, but this should get you pointed in the right direction.  Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: selective mailmerge
            rob99
               Many thanks for this advice. i will try it out.