4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2012 9:27 PM by crtopher

Selective Self Relating

crtopher

Title

Selective Self Relating

Hello Everyone

I want to keep track of a list of topics. I'd like to "relate" any given topic to any other (but not every topic to every other). I would have a layout where I created new topics, then would be able to select from the other existing topics to mark them as "related". First off I'd like advice about the best structure for this.

This is what I've done so far. The 'RelatedTopicsList' is at the moment a hand generated, carriage separated list in a text box, set as "text" (because if I made it a number I couldn't carriage-separate). There is a portal showing TOPICS_related. It seems like a reverse portal in a way but it seems to work - am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance

Chris Richardson

Screen_Shot_2012-07-13_at_10.12.49_PM.png

• 1. Re: Selective Self Relating
          philmodjunk

which field shows as "antibiotics" in your screen shot? TSMod?

Seems like you have a category (Antibiotics) and members of that category (Gentamicin, Cephalosporins, etc.)

Looks from here like the Category (TSMod?) could be in one table and the members (TopiceName?) in another, related table with a one to many relationship from the category to the memers.

• 2. Re: Selective Self Relating
            crtopher

Hi Phil - thank you for helping. "antibiotics" is the field TopicName, as are "gentamcin" "cephalosporins" "aminoglycosides" (apologies TSMod and CreateDate are my autoenter modification timestamps and creation date fields respectively). I don't want a category-member arrangement. I want to be able to reference one topic from another (kind of like a 'keywords' link in a blog post etc). In this example, the list of gentamicin cephalosporins and aminos do happen to all be antibiotics or types of antibiotics, but I might equally want, in another record, to link "train" with "beach ball" with "moon dust". Does that make sense?

• 3. Re: Selective Self Relating
              philmodjunk

Hmmm, in which case back to the suggestion I almost posted the first time:

Your return separated lists functions as a kind of "mini join table" all in one field. Why not take the next logical step and use an actual join table in your self join relationship? The join table can be easier to update and you then have the option of basing report layouts on the join table.

Topics----<Topic_Join>----Topics 2

• 4. Re: Selective Self Relating
                crtopher

I've done exactly as you suggest. I hadn't thought of having a join table linking two occurrences of the same table. Thank you Phil.