6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2015 9:18 AM by philmodjunk

Self Joining Relationships and Drop Down Menus

JanineAntoni

Title

Self Joining Relationships and Drop Down Menus

I am looking to have fields in a drop down menu prompt new fields to appear on my database. I believe I need to make a self-joining relationship but I am not sure. Can someone help? I am trying to keep track of objects in this database. The drop down menu is be 'Current Location' and is comprised of a list including 'Studio,' 'On View in an Exhibition,' 'Gallery.' When something like 'On View in an Exhibition' is chosen, I would like it to prompt a field to show up asking  'Exhibition Name' and another asking 'Expected Return Date.' Is this possible? Help please!

• 1. Re: Self Joining Relationships and Drop Down Menus
          SummitIT

Whenever I do something that needs to be hidden or seen based on a different field's contents, I use the "hide object when" option found in the Inspector (under Behavior).

You could have the fields (expected return date and exhibition name) on your layout, but hide object when "<Table>::Current Location" = null  .  The fields should show up whenever you or a user selects an option from the drop-down menu.

At least, that's what I would try.

• 2. Re: Self Joining Relationships and Drop Down Menus
            JanineAntoni

Thanks! I am trying that. This may sound like a silly...but where do I find Behavior?

• 3. Re: Self Joining Relationships and Drop Down Menus
              SummitIT

When you bring up layout mode (Edit Layout button in the top right of the window), you enter into the building portion of FM.  If your inspector does not come up, you can click View-Inspector (found near the bottom) or press Ctrl+I.  Then your inspector should be usable again.  Under its Data tab, is where the behavior segment is found.  

That confused me for a bit because when I was finished editing my layouts, I would close the Inspector with its normal X button in its window.  Then I would open the layout mode again, but my Inspector would be gone!  I realized that certain windows will come up automatically when you go into layout mode, as long as you leave them open when you click out (Exit Layout) again.

(That same button, Edit Layout, becomes Exit Layout while you're editing.)

• 4. Re: Self Joining Relationships and Drop Down Menus
                JanineAntoni

Okay - first off, thank you for all your help! It is much appreciated. I do understand Layout mode, I've been using it to make the database. However, I do not know what the Inspector is...I fear I am using an old FM and it doesn't have it? I went to View but no Inspector was listed....Is this possible?

• 5. Re: Self Joining Relationships and Drop Down Menus
                  SummitIT

That's very possible.  The only version of FM I have used is Pro Advanced (13), so I think we are beyond what I know.  

Maybe check in the program's "Help" for the user's manual?  See if you can find anything about object behavior, conditional formatting, or hide conditions.  

Good Luck!

• 6. Re: Self Joining Relationships and Drop Down Menus
                    philmodjunk

The inspector was a new feature in FileMaker 11. Hide Object when was a new Feature in FileMaker 13 where it greatly simplified dynamic layout design.

It is possible to make layout objects appear and disappear in older systems. But it takes a lot of "fiddling" to make it happen.

Here's a demo file that I used to share until Hide Object When made it obsolete. It demonstrates a number of different ways to make layout objects, fields, text, buttons.... appear and disappear.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8levaz6deiyzjr8/LayoutObjectVisibilityControlDemo.fp7

PS. I had to check to be sure that I hadn't deleted this one since it's only useful in "pre 13" versions.