1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 1:30 PM by philmodjunk

Self relationship - Creating Categories where the Parent category

brettpix

Title

Self relationship - Creating Categories where the Parent category & child are from the same list

Hi

This seems so simple but it seems to have me stumped. I need to create a category list to export to my ecommerce cart (for food products in my case)

I have a list of categories (eg grains, rice, barley, wheat, legumes, navy beans, pinto beans, soy beans, lentils) where all categories are in the same list.

I want to create a multi level category list where both parent and child categories come from the same category list. This is needed as this is the way my opencart ecommerce solutions works.

I see this as a Self relationship as each category can relate to itself. In this case I want the structure to be like this.

grain

grain > rice

grain > barley

grain > wheat

legumes

legumes > navy beans

legumes > pinto beans

legumes > soy beans

legumes > lentils

This idea would be the same in an example were you had a list of staff members were some are assigned as managers and others are assigned under them (another situation I would like to use this for in my business)

How can I do this???

There are so many applications for this type of relationship. Thank you in advance for any assitance you can give.

Regards

Brett