3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2012 8:48 AM by philmodjunk

Self-contained copy does not embed container data

SerenaLi

Title

Self-contained copy does not embed container data

In order to migrate all old data container references to the new external storage in FM12, I am trying to save a self-contained copy of our current database so that all images are embedded. When I choose this option from File>Save a Copy As, it saves a version of the file that is larger in filesize. However, when this file is opened, the only images that were previously embedded are embedded, and the other images do not appear if I break the directory link on my computer to where those images were stored. I ensured that I had checked the option for "self-contained copy (single file)." If anyone can offer some insight into how to use this tool or somehow show me another way to embed all images, I would be very grateful. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Self-contained copy does not embed container data
          philmodjunk

You should be able to just change the storage option for your container field to "external" and FileMaker should move the files for you. At least that's how I understand that the process is supposed to work. There's no need to store a self contained copy as far as I know.

• 2. Re: Self-contained copy does not embed container data
            SerenaLi

Yes, when I did this directly, it only transferred previously embedded images to "external" and skipped the other entries that were previously inserted as "reference only." If there is a way to get the transfer process to perform the same actions on the other images as well, I would also appreciate any pointers to make that happen!

It appears that the external storage solution works for IWP purposes but inserted referenced images do not, which is why I'm attempting this transfer. Our data managers will not have access to the IWP server itself, which is why we're trying to set up external containers so that our database can be accessed by web users as well.

• 3. Re: Self-contained copy does not embed container data
              philmodjunk

My quickie test shows the same thing, that externally referenced files are skipped during the data transfer to the external location. You may need to use a script to re-insert those files. A script can export them to the temporary items folder and then re-insert them from there.