3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2010 9:28 AM by casey777

Send Mail problems

trouty

Title

Send Mail problems

Hi, don't know if any of you out there use the Send Mail facility within filemaker, I've moved over to Filemaker Pro from IBM Approach database specifically to be able to tap into this facility but have experienced repeated problems.

I've tried using the Filemaker's own email server which crashed several times, so resorted to using Outlook Express as a mail server but have experienced an extremely irritating problem that comes when you use this.  After Filemaker has sent out a certain amount of mail, the "Compact Mail" dialogue box comes up and will not go away until you either cancel or perform the compact.  If you opt to cancel, the dialogue box appears repeatedly after every individual message goes out.  Alternatively, if you opt to OK the Compact request, this is performed and then more email get sent out before the compact request appears and again.

Someone told me that when using Filemakers own email server, I should put a time lapse in as it was probably running too fast, hence the crashing, someone else said that because this facility is so new, some ISP's don't support it.  I'm really confused now.

I really wanted to use filemakers own server.  Does anyone have any ideas or solutions, I'd be grateful to hear from you.

Trouty

• 1. Re: Send Mail problems
          casey777

I have sent emails using the Send Mail script step using both the SMTP option and my email client. I have had no problems once I correctly configured the SMTP and other settings except for the quantity limitations of the ISP server. I have never run into the Compact Mail dialogue I guess because I don't use Outlook Express. 

In past comments, I have also mentioned inserting a pause when sending emails using either method since Filemaker has the capability of sending them faster than either your email client or your ISP possibly can handle. A slight pause sometimes seems to help especially when sending a large number of them. 

Please understand that Filemaker does not have a server of its own. The SMTP option is Filemaker's new ability for bypassing your email client software and going directly to your ISP host server.

How many emails are you trying to send at one time?

• 2. Re: Send Mail problems
            trouty

Hi TECman,

Thanks for that, I see what you're saying, my ISP has a limit of 100 emails at a go, so I suppose this is what's tripping up filemaker.  However, sending using the Outlook Express caused no ISP limit problems, does this mean that because Outlook is acting as the server, the ISP server detects this and lets it continue, as I sent 550 emails last night?

Regards

Trouty 

• 3. Re: Send Mail problems
              casey777
                 I suspect it's possible that Outlook could be using a different server than your connection host. On the Mac side, if I use Mac Mail it connect with Apple as its server host. When I use the SMTP option with Filemaker, I use my internet cable server, Cox. Apple had limited me to 100 emails per a 24-hour period. Cox is 500 or more especially with a business connection.