7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2008 1:21 PM by DThomas

Send Mail top number?

DThomas

Title

Send Mail top number?

Send Mail is making me pull my hair out. Does anyone know if there is a top limit to the number of email addresses (or emails) it will use? I have 1000+ in my DB and the send mail feature is not working. Again. The last time I had to go through each email address to locate the 2 errant spaces. I've gone through the new emails I just added and see nothing wrong. Thoughts?

• 1. Re: Send Mail top number?
          TSGal

DThomas:

Thank you for your post.

There is no limit to the Send Mail script step.  The most I have sent out at one time is 2000 emails, so if you are doing 1000 emails, that shouldn't be a problem.

You should be able to see the last email that was sent from your script.  I would check that record and the following few records that weren't sent to see any possible problems.  If you are still having difficulty, try inserting a Custom dialog after each sent email.  This will take some time, but it will definitely narrow down the offending record.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Send Mail top number?
            DrDave

DThomas,

I'm new to FM and have recently finished sending out a batch of emails -- 500. What I've learned is there are a number of things to consider. Keeping in mind that I used Gmail to send the email, different email providers have various restrictions that you need to know about. 

For example, and to avoid spamming, some providers only allow a certain number of emails to be sent at one time, or per-connection, or per time period.

When I setup my routine to send email, I first send only 35 emails -- it worked; I then sent 35 more -- it worked; I then sent 70 -- it worked; I then sent 100 -- it worked. A couple of days later, I sent 250 at once and it worked.

Knowing the limits/restrictions of the email provider will be helpful. 

• 3. Re: Send Mail top number?
              DThomas
                 I'm using Mozilla's Thunderbird program and our Bellsouth account. The Send Mail (under the File Menu is the one I'm using, just in case there's another option I don't know about) feature works fine for a standard subset of emails. However when I try to send to the full group, the program does nothing. I press "send" but there is no pop-up window from Thunderbird saying "a program is trying send mail blah blah blah" and there is nothing in my drafts/outbox/sent folders. And nothing, not TB, not FMP is giving me any sort of error message as to why it isn't working. When it happened before, I had to manually check each email address to get rid of any accidental stray incorrect characters.
              • 4. Re: Send Mail top number?
                TSGal

DThomas:

Thank you for your post.

Does Thunderbird have a limit to the number of email addresses you can send at one time?  Is it possible that Thunderbird is still reading all the email addresses in the found set and trying to parse them out?

Try sending in groups of 10 records.  See if you can narrow it down to a particular found set of records.

By the way, there is a Send Mail script step, so that is the other option.

Please keep me posted!

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Send Mail top number?
                  DrDave

DThomas,

You should also know that if you are sending -- for example -- a single email and you are including recipients in the BCC, there are other restrictions that you need to be aware of. For example, some email providers put a limit on the number of email address that you can include in a BCC. You should also know that if do use a BCC and - depending on the email provider -- if only one of the email addresses in the BCC fail, no mail will be sent.

Since you are using a computer to send email, then I would recommend that you avoid using a BCC -- just send individual emails, even though the email is the same.

Good Luck 

• 6. Re: Send Mail top number?
                    DThomas
                       I *am* using the BCC field for all of these addresses. The single email option scares me. But it has worked fine the past few occasions and is now futzing up again. I'm checking a random subset now to see if that will work.
                    • 7. Re: Send Mail top number?
                      DThomas
                         Well, I would up sending seperate emails rather than as a batch. I'm not very happy with that solution but may just need so play with it some more. I still want to know why it wouldn't let me just send all in a bcc like before. Neither Thunderbird nor Bellsouth help files gave me any answers as to why it wasn't working. Thanks for everyone's help!