5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2009 2:41 PM by trouty

Send Mail using Filemaker SMTP keeps crashing

trouty

Title

Send Mail using Filemaker SMTP keeps crashing

Hi there,

When using Send Mail to send emails to 480 clients, it runs for so long then just crashes, leaving me with no idea how many emails I've sent out to (and whom).  Any ideas?:smileysad:

(I'm using windows XP home with 3GB memory and close all other programs prior to running the send mail - I can use my email client to do the same thing (outlook express) and it works fine, although it's a bit painful having to click yes everytime it sends to each address.  Authentification is via a plain password)

Trouty

• 1. Re: Send Mail using Filemaker SMTP keeps crashing
          casey777
             It is very likely running too fast for either your computer or your server. When you use your email client, there is a pause created as you click yes to each one. Try inserting a pause (several seconds in length) in your loop between each email you send using the SMTP option. Also, include a BCC email to yourself for the emails to see which ones were actually sent. 
          • 2. Re: Send Mail using Filemaker SMTP keeps crashing
            trouty

Hi TECman,

Have looked under the SMTP options, but there isn't anywhere to put a time option.  Where would this go? 

• 3. Re: Send Mail using Filemaker SMTP keeps crashing
              KeithLarochelle_1
                 Outlook Express has a setting that allows you to bypass that warning.  In Outlook Express if you look under Tools - Options - then on the Security Tab there is a checkbox that says "Warn me when other applications try to send mail as me."  Deselect this check box and all your e-mails will queue up to be sent without having to click "yes" to each one.  You might want to deselect the option to send immediately so you can control the send - otherwise it will start sending before it finishes queuing up the e-mails.

As a side note on a closely related topic:Oddly enough the full version of Outlook does not have this security override option and would require a FileMaker plug-in to bypass this security feature.For more info on this problem if you are using Outlook, you can take a look at this blog article on the subject:  http://www.productivecomputing.com/blog/?cat=18 
              • 4. Re: Send Mail using Filemaker SMTP keeps crashing
                casey777

The pause I mentioned would go in your script. Using a Loop, it would like this:

Go to Record/Request/Page [First]

Loop

Send Mail [Send via E-mail Client] ........ or SMTP option

Pause/Resume Script [Duration (seconds): 4)

Go to Record/Request/Page [Next; Exit after last]

End Loop

Let us know if a pause works for your problem. It may be something else.

• 5. Re: Send Mail using Filemaker SMTP keeps crashing
                  trouty
                     Thank you all for that, the Outlook Express option is the easiest and it seems to work on the trial I've just done, however have still to run it on my 680 client list.