1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2009 5:34 AM by Orlando

Send Mail--How about a draft

troyecol

Title

Send Mail--How about a draft

I regularly use the send mail option (Filemaker Pro 9 on OSX 10.4 using the Mac Mail application). Sometimes I'd like to make some annotations to the message before it is sent but short of unplugging from the ether I don't see an easy means of preventing messages from being sent immediately. It would be nice if the messages could be created as draft mail messages and then sent on my schedule. Am I overlooking an easy fix?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Send Mail--How about a draft
          Orlando

Hi troyecol

Try unchecking the option "Perform without dialog" this will create the email in Mail and have it sitting open ready for you to amend and click send.

• 2. Re: Send Mail--How about a draft
            troyecol

Hey Orlando,

Took a bit of searching to figure out where that checkbox was but that does the trick. Thanks for the quick and helpful response.

• 3. Re: Send Mail--How about a draft
              Pamela2701
                 I have the same issue, except the check box for Perform without dialog is greyed out and I am unable to "un select" it.  Can anyone tell me why?
              • 4. Re: Send Mail--How about a draft
                Orlando

Hi Pamela

Are you using FileMaker 10, and are you using the Send Via SMTP Server option in your Send Mail script step?

If you are then the option to Perform Without Dialog will always be on, and cannot be switched off, as you are sending the email directly from FileMaker using SMTP

Where as this option relates to sending emails via an Email Client so when you have it on, the email is sent via your email client directly. If you have it turned off then the email is created and either left open in you email app, or placed in drafts, where you need to manually send it from you Email app.

Let me know if this is not the case, but this is the only time I have seen the option greyed out. 

• 5. Re: Send Mail--How about a draft
                  Pamela2701

Orlando,

Thank you for your response.

I am working with FileMaker 10 server and and yes I am using the Send Via SMTP Server option in my Send Mail script.

Ultimately I WANT the email created and left open in my Outlook waiting for me to manually send.  Although, 85% of the time, I use the default text programed in the script there is that 20% of the time that I need to modify the text of the email before it is sent.

Initially I had the script set to Email Client and the workstation (PC) that I built the data base in (9.0 Advanced)  did exactly what I wanted.

Then, we installed Server 10 and introduced the Mac workstations to the data base. The buttons did not work at all on the Mac.  So in my research I came to the conclusion that I needed to change the setting to Send Mail Via SMTP Server which I did and now the email buttons work, but they only work Perform Without Dialog and that check box is greyed out and will not let me uncheck it.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Send Mail--How about a draft
                    Pamela2701
                       Also, when the button was set up through email client, it left a copy of the sent email in the sent folder.  Now there is no copy and sometimes I don't know if it went or not.
                    • 7. Re: Send Mail--How about a draft
                      Orlando

Not sure why it would not work on the Mac you were using, the only think I can thing of is no Default Email Reader was setup. You can access this setting via Mail, go Mail > Preferences... General.

If this is still the case you might want to consider having the script run Send Mail via an Email Client for your PC users and via SMTP for your Mac users.

You can do this by testing which platform is being used in an if statement

If [ Abs ( Get ( SystemPlatform ) ) = 2 // Windows ]
                      Send Mail [ Via Email Client ]
                      Else
                      Send Mail [ Via SMTP ]
                      End If

That could be an option if you cant get the mac to work correctly, but do check the default settings on the Mac first. 

• 8. Re: Send Mail--How about a draft
                        Pamela2701

I will look into this right away and let you know. Thanks.

• 9. Re: Send Mail--How about a draft
                          Pamela2701
                             Okay, I tried modifying the script as you suggested and it return no different results. This is really starting to discourage me. I have tried everything I can think of to fix this issue of why my send email script set to email client will work with a PC and not a Mac. Any other suggestions?
                          • 10. Re: Send Mail--How about a draft
                            FentonJones

I believe what Orlando was saying was to only use his modified script IF you could NOT manage to select Apple Mail as the default email client on the Mac. Mail is the default client on a Mac, unless you change it (to Firefox, Entourage, etc.).  

• 11. Re: Send Mail--How about a draft
                              Pamela2701

Now my Mac is giving me the following errors, but not ALL the time. Again, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Email(s) could not be sent successfully. and There was an error addressing the email. Please check that your email software is installed correctly.

• 12. Re: Send Mail--How about a draft
                                Pamela2701
                                   I HAVE changed the default email client to Entourage on the Mac and after modifing the script as discribed by Orlando I am not getting the following errors, "There was an error addressign the email. Please check that your email software is installed corretly" and "Email(s) could not be sent correctly" 
                                • 13. Re: Send Mail--How about a draft
                                  FentonJones
                                     FileMaker really only supports Apple Mail as the default email client on Macs. It kind of works with others, but it will only create an email in one of the other folders, like drafts (or whatever). It will not bring it to the front for immediate editing and sending. So it's Apple Mail, or some other method is needed. 
                                  • 14. Re: Send Mail--How about a draft
                                    Orlando

Hi Pamela

What is the main reason for using an Email application, is it just for tweaking the contents as you mention, or do you also want to keep a record in the users email app?

Another solution you could try is to stick with the 'Via SMTP' settings, but before sending set the contents of the email to a global field somewhere, allow the user to check the contents and then click Send.

A good approach here would be to have multiple scripts, the first to take the user to the layout and set the global, a second attached to a Send button on that layout that will be the Send Email step to take the Body of the email from that global. and a last which is attached to a cancel button, clears the global and takes the user somewhere else.

And if the user requires a copy in there email app, then Bcc them.

So you scripts would be something along the lines of:

#
                                    Go to Layout [ Layout with global ]
                                    Set Field [ Your Global Filed ; Email Body Content ]
                                    Show Custom Dialog [ "Please check the email and click send if ok." ]
                                    #

Send Script

#
                                    Send Mail [ Via SMTP ]
                                    Set Field [Your Global Filed ; "" ] 
                                    Go to Layout [ Where user began ] 

Cancel Button

#
                                    Set Field [Your Global Filed ; "" ] 
                                    Go to Layout [ Where user began ] 

Let us know if you have any questions about any of this 

1 2 Previous Next