14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2009 1:28 PM by Marion77

Send Mail-Incorrect Email Address

charlie12342

Title

Send Mail-Incorrect Email Address

FileMaker documentation indicates that sending will stop when an undeliverable email address is encountered.

I tested this with a practice group of 3 emails. The second email was incorrect. Emails 1 and 3 were delivered. Email 2 resulted in a not deliverable message in my email client.  Just what I would want to happen.

I then sent my "mass" mailing to 50 email addresses.  I saw a dialog in FileMaker indicating that email(s)  were not deliverable. Two non-deliverable notices appeared in my email client inbox. I called an individual at the end of the list of 50 and he said not receive the email.

What is the real story? If I received two non-deliverable notices, then FileMaker does not stop when encountering one non-deliverable message.

The best result would be for me to get a non-deliverable notice on all non-deliverable messages in a group of 50, and for all other message to be delivered.

• 1. Re: Send Mail-Incorrect Email Address
          TSGal

charlie12342:

Thank you for your post.

The FileMaker documentation indicates that sending will stop if it encounters an error when using the SMTP Server and Multiple emails option.  Since you are using Email client, this is not an issue.  Besides, the email client will let you know which emails went through and which ones were rejected.  This would not come back to FileMaker Pro.

Check the "Sent Messages" in your email client to see what emails were sent.  If the last person in that group of 50 did not receive the email, check to make sure it was sent in your "Sent" folder/box.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Send Mail-Incorrect Email Address
            charlie12342

Thanks for replying.

I did use the SMTP Server and Multiple emails options.  The two non-deliverable messages I received were in Eudora on a second computer. There were no "copies" of my 50 outgoing messages in Eudora.

• 3. Re: Send Mail-Incorrect Email Address
              TSGal

charlie12342:

When you send via SMTP Server, it bypasses any mail client, so there will be no copies appearing in your Eudora outgoing messages box.  If FileMaker returns with an error message, it will then stop processing at that point.  There is no reason for it to try sending to the same SMTP Server over and over again if it fails the first time.  Does that make sense?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Send Mail-Incorrect Email Address
                charlie12342

Using OSX 10.4.11 on eMac

First sentence makes sense.

Second sentence: I am connecting to the server, and the problem is that there is an incorrect email address. Since I received 2 non-deliverable messages, I know that the process does not stop immediately, even though the documentaiton says it does. I do not trust this approach. And there is no trail of sent messages.

So, I am trying the Email client option.

My progress thus far:

OSX Mail 2.1.3.  Can not get it to send a message. Period. All of the settings are stored via OSX Mail.

Eudora 6.1.1. Independently sends messages properly. In concert with FM Pro 10, I can send three messages properly without attachments.  When I send a test with attachments, it queues the first message, and then I click on the queued message, click Send and it is emailed.  The other two messages are not in the queue.  Thus this is not a process that will be suitable for mailing to 50 or so recipients.

Thunderbird 2.0.0.21. Independently sends messages properly. In concert with FM Pro 10, when I click Send Mail, nothing happens. There are no messages in the Unsent or Sent Mailboxes. I tried both with "Collect addresses across found set" checked and also unchecked. I  do not know what this selection box does. I checked OSX Mail preferences, and the Default Email reader is Thunderbird.

I appreciate your trying to help me get to a workable process.  I would rather not go to a standalone Mass Mailer. The combination of a database and mass mail option is powerful. I hope it will work. 

• 5. Re: Send Mail-Incorrect Email Address
                  TSGal

charlie12342:

Thanks for the additional information.

I am on OS X 10.5.6, so I will try to find a computer running 10.4.x.  Until then, this is my set up.

I am using OS X Mail 3.5 as my default email client.  My email account type is POP, and I use the internal mail server accessing smtp.filemaker.com for sending messages.  No problems.

In FileMaker Pro 10, if I change my Send Mail script to use SMTP, I access smtp.filemaker.com, and everything sends successfully.  Again, no problems.

Some users were having difficulty sending to a gmail server, and I was never able to access the gmail server.

Can you tell me a bit more about your email client?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Send Mail-Incorrect Email Address
                    charlie12342

Thunderbird is what I prefer to use. It is a Mozilla affiliated operation.

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

I have used it at home for two years or so, and it has been stable.

Do you have a specific question? 

• 7. Re: Send Mail-Incorrect Email Address
                      charlie12342

If you try Thunderbird, you will find settings in:

Tools>Account Settings>Server Settings

• 8. Re: Send Mail-Incorrect Email Address
                        TSGal

charlie12342:

Unfortunately, Thunderbird is not a supported email client, so that is not an option.  The only applications supported at this time are Entourage, AppleMail and Eudora (for Macintosh).

Even so, I downloaded and installed Thunderbird to my computer (Thanks for the link).  I set up Thunderbird as the default email client (along with all the proper settings), and then tried the "Send Mail" option of FileMaker Pro 10, but as expected, nothing was sent.

I'm not sure why Apple Mail doesn't work properly.  My settings are as follows:

Account Type: POP

Incoming Mail Server: mail.filemaker.com

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.filemaker.com

Please continue to keep me posted with your progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: Send Mail-Incorrect Email Address
                          charlie12342

I deleted my Apple OSX Mail Account and then set it up from scratch. The process now works with Apple OSX Mail the way it should! I may not have set up authorization properly.

I believe it has worked out for the best, since by opting to use an email client there is a trail of messages as a record of the group mailing.

What advantage is there in sending directly from FM10?

• 10. Re: Send Mail-Incorrect Email Address
                            TSGal

charlie12342:

I'm glad you were able to finally get this to work!

You said:

>What advantage is there in sending directly from FM10?

If you have a database of contacts, FileMaker Pro can send personalized emails to each contact, and it can send it either through your email client, or if no email application exists on that computer, directly to the SMTP server.  After each contact is sent an email message, a script can continue to do a number of steps, including inserting information into a field showing the last time a contact was sent an email, what was the content of the email, etc.  All of this can be used later if you want to know what was sent, or if a person hadn't been contacted in the last 90 days.  I'm not quite sure what you mean by this question, but hopefully, this will give you some ideas.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: Send Mail-Incorrect Email Address
                              Marion77

I just installed FM and have to evaluate it. Reading in this forum that Thunderbird is not a supported mail client I wonder if a Thunderbird support is planned for the foreseeable future (this would be essential for us).

Sending mails directly from FM I gather there will be no copy of the sent mail?

Also I'd like to know about FileMaker's possibilities in regard to keeping/storing data according to corresponding compliance laws (worldwide).

Best regards

Marion

• 12. Re: Send Mail-Incorrect Email Address
                                TSGal

Marion77:

FileMaker Pro uses MAPI compliant mail programs.  When Thunderbird becomes MAPI compliant, then it will be supported.

Sending mails directly from FileMaker Pro via a SMTP server does not require a mail program.  Therefore, no copy of the sent mail is received unless you include a BCC address (so you can view it elsewhere) and/or in your script, follow the Send Mail script with an update to a "Sent Mail" table to keep a copy.

I don't know what are the "corresponding compliance laws (worldwide) " , so I've sent an email to our legal department for more information.  When I receive that information, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Send Mail-Incorrect Email Address
                                  TSGal

Marion77:

Here is a reply from our Legal department:

"Unfortunately, I'm not sure that I understand the customer's question.  I think they are asking whether FileMaker can manage data retention and delete data based on legal retention requirements.  If so, the answer is yes.  A database can track storage and retention dates and notify the customer to take appropriate actions based on legal requirements.  Naturally, FileMaker does not provide data about which compliance laws apply and the requirements of such laws.  So if the customer is requesting information about worldwide compliance laws then they may need an outside law firm or vendor to assist them."

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 14. Re: Send Mail-Incorrect Email Address
                                    Marion77

Thank you very much for the provided information. Sorry to hear that Thunderbird won't be supported.

Well, Compliant Electronic Records Management isn't only about retention but about tamper-proof/unmodifiable archiving for the regulatory period of time (depending on branch and type of document) during which all records/documents have to be searchable and restorable/retrievable at any time.

FM seems to offer some of those commandments, however it is mandatory that at least one version/copy of every business-related electronic message or document automatically be saved so they can't be modified any more.

So I'll have to find out if there is any affordable archiving software that smoothly collaborates with FM, but I'd rather have an all-in-one-solution.