8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2011 9:24 AM by connieholden

sending an email using a found set

connieholden

Title

sending an email using a found set

I am trying to send out an email to a found set, however instead of each email address receiving one email, they are receiving the email multiple times.  Can anyone explain to me how to prevent the duplicates.  I need to send to over 300 recipients, so I certainly need then to receive just one message.

thanks

connie

• 1. Re: sending an email using a found set
          philmodjunk

I am assuming that the entire found set is to recieve exactly the same email message. If they are each to receive a customized message, a different approach than the following must be used:

Use a single send mail--either by hand or in a script--that uses the "multiple emails one for each record in found set" option to send out your email. Do not use this inside a loop that steps through the records in your found set or they will get the multiple copies that you describe in your original post. Do it just once for the entire found set of records.

• 2. Re: sending an email using a found set
            connieholden

thanks for the response....  I am tryingt to send the same email to 300+ people.  I used the found set and then multiple  - which seemed to indicate that it would send the email to each person in the file set, however in the test that I did of 9 email addresses, I received the email 9 times.  If I chose the single email only selected email received the message.  I am new to filemaker and working for a non profit organization, any help would be greatly appreciated.  I had to get them out, so I did it one at a time, however I do have another email to send out the end of this month and I know there has to be an easier way.

• 3. Re: sending an email using a found set
              philmodjunk

Are you sending the email by using Send from the File menu or are you using a script?

If you use Send Email one time with the "Multiple" option selected, then one email for every record in your current found set should be sent off. If you have several records with the same email address in your found set, then you may get multiple emails to the same address here.

• 4. Re: sending an email using a found set
                connieholden

I am using the send from the file menu.. I am using a Mac.  I am checking the box for multiple and checking the "check box" for found set.  I did a test run and there were no duplicate email addresses.  I listed my email address and I received 9 messages - the total number of different email addresses in the test. 

so, I guess I did set this up right,  it's just not working as expected? 

I appreciate you help.

• 5. Re: sending an email using a found set
                  philmodjunk

What did you select for the for the TO box of the Send Mail dialog? Did you refer to a field in your table that stores the individual email addresses?

• 6. Re: sending an email using a found set
                    connieholden

for the TO box I specified a field name that stored the email addresses. 

• 7. Re: sending an email using a found set
                      philmodjunk

Is there a single email address in this field for every record in your found set?

That's the last, rather improbable thing that I can think of here short of physically examining your file.

• 8. Re: sending an email using a found set
                        connieholden

just a single address.  so I guess I'm not going crazy, it should have worked correctly.  I guess I'll check to make sure there are no updates that need to be installed.