1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 4:24 PM by philmodjunk

Sending an email with record changes?

JamesGrubic

Title

Sending an email with record changes?

We are currently using accounts and calculations to lock changes out of certain records. It works perfectly, no complaints.

I have some records though that I would like to keep modifiable by another user, but I would like to specify an email address that Filemaker notifies when changes are made to the record.

The catch is that I would like to know which fields have been changed. 

I have looked into this a bit and know I can modify an OnRecordCommit script to send an email that could say something like "This record has changed" if the contents of the "Notify" field are not empty, but I don't see the capability to include which fields have changed.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Sending an email with record changes?
          philmodjunk

You'd need to set up some kind of system that logs the changes as they are made.

For one example: OnObjectEnter can capture the current value and use Set Variable to save that original value in a global variable. OnObjectSave, if triggered could then log the name of the field and the original value in some kind of change record. OnRecordCommit could then email the data from that change log to you.