3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2011 11:54 AM by philmodjunk

Sending daily emails

CraigJulian

Title

Sending daily emails

I want to build a table with quotes and have a quote sent to one email address daily. Is this feasible?

My pro advance version is on a Mac and our server is Windows.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Sending daily emails
          philmodjunk

This can be done, but the details get a bit sticky.

If you have an SMTP server to use, you might be able to use a server scheduled script to send the email. If the quote is an attached PDF, it must first be saved to a specific location before this can work. And there's an issue with SMTP emails that can result in the recipients email server identifying your automatic email as spam and then filters it out.

For More Information see:    Email header malformed when using SendMail

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:   http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html

You can also do this with Send Mail from a client of your server to send mail via your email client software if you have compatible email software. You can either use a script that is perfomed each time the file is opened to check and see if the daily email has been sent and to send it if it has not, or you can set up a robot file that your system opens, a script runs when the file is opened to send the email and then this file closes. On a windows system, you can use task manager to open such a file. This can also be done with a similar tool on Mac systems, but I don't recall the exact details as I am not a Mac user.

• 2. Re: Sending daily emails
            CraigJulian

Thanks PhilModJunk -

The idea is to have a quote sent to everyones email in the company daily (M-F @ 7am). I was thinking of just building a table with the quotes, in text, loaded into it and somehow get quote 1 to go out Monday morn, quote 2 Tuesday morn, etc. I would only have to send it to one email address as we have the company set to go global if an email is sent to this one particular email address.

We are new to FM format - I have the Pro Advanced and the server but our server is windows based.

• 3. Re: Sending daily emails
              philmodjunk

The fact that you have a windows server should not be an issue here.

If you want the emails sent out precisely at 7 am, you can use either a server scheduled script with SMTP or a client based robot file to run the script. The script can check the day of the week and exit without doing anything if the day of the week is Sunday or Saturday.

I suggest researching Send Mail first to learn how to send mail from your data base. Looking this up FileMaker help is a good starting point. Note that the 11.03 update added a new capability for Mac users in that they can now use MS Outlook with Send Mail, but this update also appears to disable the ability to send mail with older versions of Entourage. Once you can send mail to yourself by selecting Send Mail from the File menu, you can try to do the same with a script. Once that works, you can take a swing at scheduling the email.