9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2008 11:49 AM by Rickwhite

Sending emails from database

Patmac

Title

Sending emails from database & where to get training for Filemaker

Hello,

I'm using filemaker to send emails to our Conservation Trust Members that have supplied email addesses. The newsletter I'm attaching is a 1.8mb PDF file.  I set it up, but it takes a long time for the emails to go.  I tried a couple and it took 4 minutes each for the emails to go. This means it would take hours to send emails to all our members.  Is there an easier way or do I just need a faster internet connection?  

Also, I'm self trained using Filemaker.  I'm using Filemaker Pro Advanced and would like to know, at some point, how to make stand alone programs.  I've taken a beginners training course from a company in Framingham, MA, but they didn't teach me anything that I didn't already know.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can get training.  

Thanks, Patty 

• 1. Re: Sending emails from database & where to get training for Filemaker
          TSGal

Patmac:

Thank you for your post.

The Send Mail script step sends a message to your Mail Out box.  It will not automatically send it.  The timing on the email program to send messages is what dictates it clears out the print queue.  I have sent hundreds of messages to my Out box, and my email program is set to check and send messages every minute.  Therefore, whatever is in the Out Box the next time it checks for incoming mail, it also sends everything in the Out Box.  This setting is probably in your General Preferences setting for your email program.

To create a stand alone solution, you may want to look in the Help menu for Binding files into a runtime solution.  Actually, I just performed a search on "runtime", and it displayed a number of documents that are useful.

Does anyone else have a good suggestion for an advanced FileMaker training on the east coast?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Sending emails from database & where to get training for Filemaker
            casey777

Patty, when sending a large pdf file such as the one you are attaching, it may well take 4 minutes each, somewhat I guess, depending on the speed of your computer and the script you are using. I found even when sending smaller pdf files that is helped to add an 8 second pause, using a cable modem, into the mail script. Otherwise the email program gets overloaded and it then takes even longer. 

If your script creates the pdf file for each email it will take longer. Thus save it in a pdf file and then simply access it as an attachment for each email. 

What kind of internet connection are you using? 

• 3. Re: Sending emails from database & where to get training for Filemaker
              jeffh_1

You might be referring to the Support Group in Natick, from whom I've also taken classes with, however you may have taken too much of a beginner class with them. I took their Advanced II class and found it very helpful.

As to sending e-mails, you might try compressing the PDF as much as possible within Adobe Acrobat Professional. Personally I try to keep my e-mais less than 300k, otherwise it is a slow process.

Best of luck!

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Sending emails from database & where to get training for Filemaker
                Kat4
                   I found lynda.com has some really good training video tutorials. On the website, there is a list of training for various versions of FMP. You can watch the first few for free, and if you like them, can buy a disc, or just subscribe by the month.
                • 5. Re: Sending emails from database & where to get training for Filemaker
                  Patmac

Hi TECman,

Thanks you for you post.  I am saving it as a PDF file and in the "Send Mail" options I'm selecting "Attach file" and "Specify" choosing the PDF newsletter.  I have about 94 emails to send out and at 4 minutes each I'm looking a a few hours to send.  I have a slow verizon DSL connection.  I'm thinking that may be the problem.

I don't have the Adobe Acrobat to compress the PDF so I'm not sure what to do.  I've only tried sending a few emails  to myself from the script and it take a long time.

• 6. Re: Sending emails from database & where to get training for Filemaker
                    Sorbsbuster

If Patmac is sending a Newsletter e-mail, can I assume that it is the same e-mail to all 94 members?  Is the e-mailing script currently sending 94 e-mails, all the same?

I know from a long time ago that 'assume' makes an 'ass- out of u-and-me', but I always assumed that if you send an e-mail to a Group, then your e-mail client sends one e-mail, and leaves the service provider to forward it on 94 times.

If that is the case, then should we not be looking at the script set-up to create a Mailing Group from the 94 members, and just send one e-mail?

Alan

• 7. Re: Sending emails from database & where to get training for Filemaker
                      casey777

I sent one out when, without the pause in the script, the Endora email program I had to use on the company's server, got overloaded and it took 5 hours instead of 1 hour for about 450 emails. 

• 8. Re: Sending emails from database & where to get training for Filemaker
                        casey777
                           Using Filemaker to send emails obviously gives you the option to personalize each one as it goes out. Without that, yes, you could send it using bcc copies, but that would miss the point of database emailing and look more like junk email.
                        • 9. Re: Sending emails from database & where to get training for Filemaker
                          Rickwhite

Hello patmac,

ive just started to use filemaker and am making good progress..but i still can not figure out how to send a quote from within filemaker please could you please tell me what i should do??? 

thanks

rick