8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2008 3:07 PM by BCW

Sending emails from Filemaker 8.5

BCW

Title

Sending emails from Filemaker 8.5

I apologise if I'm asking a blindingly obvious question here, but I haven't been able to find an answer in the Knowledgebase or in the Forums.

I'm using Filemaker Pro 8.5 on an iMac. When I want to send an email to a group of records, everything seems fine until I attach a pdf file. I've done a couple of test emails and the pdf file is always shown in the email before the text I've typed in, rather than after it. Is there any way, simple preferably, of making Filemaker put the attachment at the end of the email? I'd be grateful for any help with this.

• 1. Re: Sending emails from Filemaker 8.5
          davidanders

That is a function (preference) of the email client used. (Mail or Entourage)

Even if you use an email plugin SMTPit or such, it is a setting in the plugin and not FileMaker. (if the plugin offers the choice)

You might look at this forum for FMP email info.

http://fmforums.com/forum/showforum.php?fid/53/ 

• 2. Re: Sending emails from Filemaker 8.5
            BCW

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've had a look at the Preferences for Mail (2.1.3) and I can't see anything about the placement of attachments. Mail Help says that the attachment will be inserted where the cursor is, so I've made sure that my cursor in the Filemaker message text box is 2 lines below the end of the message and then attached the pdf file, but it still comes up at the beginning of the message in Mail. I'll put a question on a couple of Mac forums and see if anyone else has come across this.

• 3. Re: Sending emails from Filemaker 8.5
              rmanook

Hi BCW,

davidanders is correct (thanks david) that unfortunately there is not a setting for this inherently in FileMaker.  This issue was addressed, however, in FileMaker Pro 9.

If you wanted to, you can download the FileMaker Pro 9 Trial and try it:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/downloads/index.html (there is a section for Trial software toward the bottom of the page) 

If you can find an alternative solution for FileMaker Pro 8.5 that will be great; I just wanted to let you know what some other options were.

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Sending emails from Filemaker 8.5
                BCW

Thanks for the advice tsturtle. The upgrade to version 9 seems a useful one, but my use of Filemaker at the moment doesn't justify the expenditure.

I solved the problem by doing something entirely different. I exported the email addresses as a tab-delimited file, opened it in NeoOffice and replaced the line returns with commas, cut and pasted the addresses into the BCC field in Mail and then composed the email as normal in Mail and sent it to all 56 recipients. I tried exporting the addresses as a comma-delimited file, but there was more work in NeoOffice, having to remove quotation marks as well as line returns, so the tab-delimited file seemed to work better.

Many thanks.

BCW

• 5. Re: Sending emails from Filemaker 8.5
                  sphexx_1

In Mail 2: Menu/Edit/Attachments/Send Windows Friendly Attachments will put attachments after your signature.

In Mail 3 there is that choice and also "Put Attachments at End of Message". 

• 6. Re: Sending emails from Filemaker 8.5
                    BCW

Hello sphexx.

I've tried the 'Send Windows Friendly Attachments' suggestion and the attachment is still right at the beginning of the message. I suppose I'll have to wait until I get Mail 3. Many thanks for the advice though.

• 7. Re: Sending emails from Filemaker 8.5
                      sphexx_1

Hi BCW

Unfortunately upgrading to Mail 3 won't help as I have just checked and files sent from FMP 8.5 using Send Mail script step are still put before body text. Looks like you need FMP 9 as advised above.

[The "Windows Friendly" etc works for files inserted into Mail directly of course.] 

• 8. Re: Sending emails from Filemaker 8.5
                        BCW

Hi sphexx

Thanks for trying. My alternative worked OK, so I think I'll stick with it for the moment, until I feel flush enough to afford the upgrade to FMP 9. Sending emails from FMP works like a dream as long as I don't have an attachment to send, so I suppose it's an incentive to keep my press releases short and simple!