1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2010 4:54 AM by ianmanning

Sending emails with file maker

sarahm

Title

Sending emails with file maker

Hi, I am new to file maker and I have created a data base with clients for our small company. Now I am being asked to email all of the clients. In a perfect world I would like to send out emails using a letter layout customized to each client. I learned how to set up a letter layout that is customized now I am wondering if there is a way to send those records for the letter layout to each one of our clients.   We want each email to have each clients personalized name.

• 1. Re: Sending emails with file maker
          ryan

what version of FM are you using?

• 2. Re: Sending emails with file maker
            casey777

Sarahm,

You probably should start with using the Filemaker Send Mail script step, search for the names to whom you want to send the email, set up a loop, and send one at a time with or without dialog with your email client software. By using field names in the subject line and body of the email, you can easily personalize each one.

When you are comfortable with that, consider installing a plugin to enable inline layout as part of the email which will also be personalized and will look better than regular text email, however, in most cases, a well organized text email is often as good as a layout unless you want to include boxes, lines and logos. 

Frank

Filemaker Pro solutions developer

• 3. Re: Sending emails with file maker
              sarahm

Hey I am using file maker pro 11 trial for now , seeing if it is worth buying. If I can figure out how to send personalized emails to clients, I will probably keep it.

• 4. Re: Sending emails with file maker
                ryan

and are you familiar with writing scripts?

• 5. Re: Sending emails with file maker
                  sarahm

I have a little bit of information from a tutorial I received

• 6. Re: Sending emails with file maker
                    ryan

do you want to have a Button on your layout to send the email to the customer, or do you want a script to send the emails to a Found Set of records?

Also, the "customized letter" you created, is that as a calculated field?

• 7. Re: Sending emails with file maker
                      sarahm

I learned how to do it by creating a form letter layout I might be on the wrong track but I was thinking that it would customize each message to each client. I inserted the merge field to include personalized name ect. From there I was hoping there would be a way to email the form letter layout to each customer at the same time.

• 8. Re: Sending emails with file maker
                        ryan

sorry, another question:

Do you want to: 1.  Email the letter as an attachment, 2. Have the same "letter" be the body of an email?

• 9. Re: Sending emails with file maker
                          sarahm

Well I know how to send the email out as the message being the same for each client but I was wondering if there was a way to send out an email with the same message for the body but be customized for each client.

For Example

Dear John Smith,

same for all clients --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank You,

Sarah

Each record have a different personalized name for the email, but the same general body info,,,,im not sure maybe it is not possible.

• 10. Re: Sending emails with file maker
                            ryan

Since each customer's name and email are different, Variables must be created in your script and message

here's a script to help you:

Go to Record/Request/Page [First]

Set Variable [$CustomerName; Value;"CustomerNameField"]

Set Variable [$CustomerEmail; Value:"CustomerEmailField"]

Loop

If [ IsEmpty ( CustomerEmailField )]

Go to Record/Request/Page [Next; Exit after last ] 

Else

Send Mail [To: $CustomerEmail; Message: "Dear $CustomerName....."]

End If

End Loop

• 11. Re: Sending emails with file maker
                              sarahm

Thanks this helped a few things I still need to work on, I couldnt get the clients name to pop up i must be messing up that part of the script also, does each message have to pop up before it sends, is there a way i can just perform the script and it sends off all the emails at once?

• 12. Re: Sending emails with file maker
                                ryan

can you post the script you've written so far and maybe we can help?

and yes, the script can and will run without each message being displayed.

• 13. Re: Sending emails with file maker
                                  ryan

rdowler wrote:

Since each customer's name and email are different, Variables must be created in your script and message

here's a script to help you:

Set Variable [$CustomerName; Value;"CustomerNameField"]

Set Variable [$CustomerEmail; Value:"CustomerEmailField"]

Loop

Else

Send Mail [To: $CustomerEmail; Message: "Dear $CustomerName....."]

End If

End Loop

I just realized, you don't have to create variables for the customer name and email.  Sorry...

You can omit those steps:

Loop

Else

Send Mail [To: CustomerEmail; Message: "Dear CustomerName....."]

End If

End Loop

• 14. Re: Sending emails with file maker
                                    sarahm

Set Variable [$CustomerName; Value:Universities::Contact Name]

Set Variable[$Email; Value: Universities:: Email]

Loop

If [ IsEmpty ( Universities::Email )]

Else

Send Mail [Send via email client; BBC: Universities Email::Email; Subject: "Orientation-Golden Silkcreening"; Message "Dear Universities:: Contact Name, ………………………………………………………………………"

End If

End Loop

1 2 3 Previous Next