7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2009 2:36 PM by TSGal

Sending Emails with FM 9.0

jaboix

Title

Sending Emails with FM 9.0

I am trying to send one or multiple Emails using FM 9.0 and I 'm totally baffled!  The system tell me that I need a "calculation" but I cant figure our how to do this.  Tried to use one of the FM Pro "boiler-plate" programs - EMail Campaign - unsuccessfully.  Please advise.  Thank You !!

• 1. Re: Sending Emails with FM 9.0
          TSGal

jaboix:

Thank you for your post.

Pull down the File menu and select "Send Mail..."  You are now presented with a dialog box to send an email.

In the "To:" section, you can either enter the email address directly, or specify a field, or if you want to put several fields together, then you can specify a calculation.

Feel free to enter a Subject and Message, and when finished, click OK and your email will be sent through your default Email program.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Sending Emails with FM 9.0
            jaboix

Thanks, but when I typed the Email address in the "To" field it did not show in the EMail body - I use AOL.  All the other firlds, Subject, Text and even an attached file cam thorugh, but not the Email address.  As for using the calculation approach, I have not been able to find a way to do this for multiple Emailings.  Is there a "template" available?

• 3. Re: Sending Emails with FM 9.0
              TSGal

jaboix:

If you type the Email address into the "To:" section, it will only appear in the "To:" section.  If you want to include the email in the body, then you will need to also include it in the "Message" area.

You said "multiple Emailings"...  Maybe the better question is, "What are you trying to accomplish by using Send Mail?"

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Sending Emails with FM 9.0
                jaboix

TSGal:

Thanks again!  I want to be able to send one Email to a selected Contact or to several Contacts at one time.  I understood that such feature is available, but hard to get - for me!  I am using two FM 9.0 Templates within the Starter Solutions - Email Campaign Management and Contact Management thinking that it would be easy, but so far I have not been able to send 1 Email!

It is odd that if the Send Mail form has a "To" and "cc" and "bcc" fields, filling them with proper Email addresses does not work, and as you suggest I must enter the Email address to the "body" of the Email form.  Not sure why, but will try.

• 5. Re: Sending Emails with FM 9.0
                  TSGal

jaboix:

You should make sure your email application working properly with FileMaker Pro, first.

Pull down the File menu and select "Send Mail..."

In the "To:" field, enter your email address.

In the Subject area, enter "Test".

In the Message area, enter "Test".

Click OK and see if the mail is sent to you.  If not, then make sure your default email application is set.

If this works fine, then you can modify the script for the starter solutions and make sure the correct fields are being referenced.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Sending Emails with FM 9.0
                    jaboix

TSGal:

Thanks again and again!  Have tried all that - exactly the way you said it.  When I click OK, my AOL Email opens with all the words in the right fields except the "Send To" is blank!

• 7. Re: Sending Emails with FM 9.0
                      TSGal

Does anyone else have experience with AOL Email?

Have you tried with another email client?  How about sending via SMTP?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.