4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2009 4:29 PM by trouty

Sending mail from Filemaker Pro

trouty

Title

Sending mail from Filemaker Pro

Don't know if anyone has the answer to this, but am I right in thinking that when using Filemakers SMTP server to send mail, in the subject and message fields, you cannot combine normal text with a field entry from the database.

Filemaker don't seem to list any help for this.  What I mean is that I want to send emails to clients with something like:

Dear (first name field here),

The deadline for the next magazine is the start of October.

Would be forever grateful if anyone has answer to this one.

• 1. Re: Sending mail from Filemaker Pro
          philmodjunk

Quoting from the Help file under "Send Mail":

For each of the following options, you can enter text directly, or click <Button with arrow> to enter values from an address book (Windows), field, or calculation.

• Select Specify Email Addresses to enter one or more email addresses. Separate each address with a semicolon or a carriage return character.   

• Select Specify Field Name to specify a field that contains one or more email addresses.   

• Select Specify Calculation to specify a calculation that generates one or more email addresses.   

There's the same calculation button for the message subject and body sections also.

By using the calculation option, you can combine data from different fields as you want for your emails.

This applies to sending mail from the file menu or within a script.

• 2. Re: Sending mail from Filemaker Pro
            trouty

Hi PhilModJunk,

Thanks for that, but I've seen this - I've tried putting in the word "Dear" and then "Client First Name Field" followed by the rest of message text, e.g.

Dear Table main Diary::_1ST_NAME,

The deadline for the next magazine is the.........

I get a message in my email box as:

Dear Table main Diary::_1ST_NAME,

The deadline for the next magazine is the.........

Filemaker don't tell you how to do this in their help - I'm sure there must be some syntax you need to use to combine both text and field data.

• 3. Re: Sending mail from Filemaker Pro
              philmodjunk

You have to set it up like you would the definition for a calculation field.

Click the arrow button to bring up the specify calculation dialog and enter:

"Dear " & Table main Diary::_1ST_NAME & ",¶¶" & "The deadline for the next magazine is the..."

The ¶ character forces a new line. I used two to double space the example.

• 4. Re: Sending mail from Filemaker Pro
                trouty

Hi PMJ,

Going to get some sleep now, but I will try your instruction tomorrow.

Many thanks