4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2010 11:45 PM by MariaCrum

Sending mail with pdf - making FM shut down with message The memory could not be read

MariaCrum

Title

Sending mail with pdf - making FM shut down with message The memory could not be read

Hi!

I am building a system - where I in the end - am going to make a runtime version.

In my Mac enviroment I have no problem sending mail with automated: e-mail adress, header, message and attached pdf-file.

In one PC Vista enviroment I have no problem.

In another PC Vista enviroment it just doesn´t work.

In FileMaker 8.5 on the Vista problem machine (System built in 9 Advanced)

it just shuts down when the script is started. When I choose to search the net for solutions (FM dialoge box)

nothing happens.

When I try the Runtime version, it also shuts down, but to search the net for solutions gives me this answer:

0x00000008 the memory could not be read.

What does that mean, what is wrong?

(Pdf is created on all computers)

Thankful for help!

Maria

• 1. Re: Sending mail with pdf - making FM shut down with message The memory could not be read
          philmodjunk

How are you creating the PDF with the Runtime version? It's my understanding that the only way a runtime solution can generate a PDF is by using a PDF utitility to "print" the PDF.

• 2. Re: Sending mail with pdf - making FM shut down with message The memory could not be read
            MariaCrum

You are absolutely right - unfortunately.

I haven´t gotten that far, and mostly tested it in FM version. Only looked at it and tried a few basics in the runtime version so far and in the problem computer, we tried the print (with attached pdf) to see if the problem with the shutting down would behave different in the runtime, to find out if it was something with the two different FM versions.

Since the runtime was created in 9 and the problem computer has FM 8.5 installed - the runtime version wouldn´t be affected of that.

I thought it was mostly network features that was affected of runtime and unfortunately hadn´t studied the manual enough.

The problem is apparantley not the pdf-filen then, anyway. It is a printing problem.

Do you know what causes (both the runtime and FM pro) the programs to shut down when we try to print from the Vista problem computer?

In runtime on my Mac and the other Vista computer, a dialoge box appear with a message that the printout couldn´t be done, but the rest - the e-mail part - works and the programs keeps running.

• 3. Re: Sending mail with pdf - making FM shut down with message The memory could not be read
              RickWhitelaw

I hope I'm understanding your original message properly. It's my understanding that runtime solutions cannot "save as pdf". As a Mac user I know there's probably a way around this by addressing the OS directly via Calculated Applescript and the "do shell script" command, but I can't speak to the Windows OS. This is one of the reasons I don't bother creating runtime versions as my software relies heavily on printing (saving) as pdf.

RW

• 4. Re: Sending mail with pdf - making FM shut down with message The memory could not be read
                MariaCrum

Thank you, it seems to be correct and it is a pity that it can´t create pdf´s of course.

My solution is however not depending on the pdf, but to send e-mail with automated information that is saved.

And that can be done on 2 test computors - one Mac and one Windows Vista - but not on the third one, wich is a Windows Vista machine. Then it just shuts down.

That is what gives the memory message in runtime, but not when running it in FileMaker. When in FileMaker, it just shuts down with no message. Have you heard of that before -  FileMaker/runtime shutting down when wanting to send an e-mail through scripts...