4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2015 6:33 AM by sundown

Sending Text Messages from FM 11

sundown

Title

Sending Text Messages from FM 11

I contacted Twilio to set up my Filemaker database to text short messages to a group of clients. They sent me instructions, but it specifies it is for FM 13I have FM 11 on my host computer and about 8 older model iMacs & MBPs with FM 10s & 11s on older version OS's. Not practical for me to upgrade all of these.

Twilio says this would work on IF Filemakers versions 10 & 11 have support for HTTPS POST connections. If not, they said I might find a plugin that can act as a middle platform between filemaker & Twilio.

Can anyone tell me if FM 10 & 11 have support for HTTPS POST connections, or how I can find out

If not, can I buy FM 13 for my host computer and then will the other computers with FM 10 & 11 be able to send text on the Remote sites?

• 1. Re: Sending Text Messages from FM 11
          sundown

I contacted Filemaker and they say these connections are only on the FM 13 & 14. And that the 8 computers that are connecting to me on Remote using FM 10 & 11 would not be able to connect with FM 13  or 14 if I just upgraded my Host computer.

Therefore I need to look into how I might find a plugin that can act as a middle platform between filemaker & Twilio like they suggested. Anyone know where I look for this type plugin?

• 2. Re: Sending Text Messages from FM 11
            schamblee

There may be a few plugin available, 360works has one http://www.360works.com/scriptmaster/

• 3. Re: Sending Text Messages from FM 11
              GuyStevens

I send SMS text messages successfully in FIlemaker 11.

I use the "Go To URL" script step to open the URL that sends the message. 

But I use a provider here in Belgium. Maybe you should try to use the simple Go To URL script step to open the URL. 

You cant host your file on FIlemaker 13 or 14 and still open it with Filemaker 10 or 11 clients.

Since filemaker 12 the file extention of the Filemaker files has changed to .fmp12 and its not backwards compatible.

• 4. Re: Sending Text Messages from FM 11
                sundown

I checked on the 360works plugin and this sounds like a way to send SMS without an API account. They say you can send text from Filemaker to a phone number if you have an AIM account. I verified I could send text to my phone number using the AIM app, but have not tried their plugin with FM yet. Hoping to get some feedback from the FM community first.

Here is the reply I received from 360works.

"Take a look at our email plugin: http://360works.com/email-plugin/
                Our plugin can send SMS messages via AIM (Aol Instant Messenger network), take a look at IM_SendMessage function
                AIM app is not involved.
                You do need to have an aim account, you can sign up here: http://www.aim.com
                You would write a script that iterates through a set of customer records and using the phone number on a particular records fire off message using the plugin.
                The shortest version of the send message script would be:
                Set Variable [ $sendText ; IM_SendMessage ( “AIM" ; “YourAIMusername" ; “YourAIMpassword" ; “555-555-5555" ; “Hello, blah blah” ) ]