4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2009 8:43 AM by philmodjunk

Separate interface/data account login tips

bsternberg

Title

Separate interface/data account login tips

I have been building a database with the interface separated from the data file. Both files will be hosted on FileMaker Server. Any recommendations for logging on to both files with the same account name? I don't want to expose the user to the data file. I've got some ideas, but I would like to do it right the first time. Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Separate interface/data account login tips
          Orlando

Hi bsternberg

Not sure if you have figured this out yet, but you just need to make sure the Username and Passwords on each of the files match and FileMaker will open them and bypass the login screen.

• 2. Re: Separate interface/data account login tips
            bsternberg
               Thank you! I did not get a chance to try it yet. I guess I should have tried that out in the first place.
            • 3. Re: Separate interface/data account login tips
              Randvd
                 I am using Filemaker 8.5 server and am trying to do the same. Open several databases without my users having to key in their usernames and passwords each time. I have the same username and password and priveledge set on each data file but they are needing to type username and password for each file. Is there a way for them to have to do this only once?

Rand
              • 4. Re: Separate interface/data account login tips
                philmodjunk

Careful here: User Name ≠ Account Name

A user name is set in Edit | Privileges and is specific to a specific installation of filemaker referenced by the User Account on that computer (OS User Account).

Filemaker makes this a bit confusing because it automatically enters the User Name into the Account Name box on the log in screen when you open a file.

An account name is specified in Accounts & Privileges.

If the account name and password used to open the first file exactly matches an account name and password in a secondary file that the first file is attempting to open, it will open the secondary file without popping up a password log in dialog.

Note also that passwords are case sensitive. Thus, a file where the password for a given account name is "fred" will not be able to open a file where the password for the same account name is "Fred".