2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2010 9:39 PM by StevePandol

separating by groups for email

StevePandol

Title

separating by groups for email

I've been having trouble getting Filemaker to do what I need. I have a database of email addresses that I use for my mailing list. My isp suggested I send emails out in groups of 100 (Don't worry, it's not spam. It's my band's fan mailing list). I set up a calculation where the record number is returned (Get (RecordNumber)) and stored in another field "record number". I sort the address by "email" and because I don't store the calculation, they fall in order 1, 2 , 3... Using the find command I try to find in groups of 100 and send that group an email through Filemaker. The first I use <=100 and it returns, what seems to be the correct addresses. But when I find a range (101..200), It returns address from different places and not correct according to the search criteria. So, if I find 101.200, it will give me addresses from the group <=100.

Now, if I store the record number calculation, and sort by name, the record number field is incorrect. 1, 581, 15, 2, 3...

Not sure what I am doing wrong. All I want to do is have a sorted email list and break them into groups of 100 using a find so I can email each group.

Any help you can give me is appreciated! Maybe I should go about it another way?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: separating by groups for email
          philmodjunk

Every time you perform a find, the value of get ( RecordNumber ) will change, so I don't see how you can use record numbers in a find to get what you want here. Just changing the sort order will change the record number here.

I'd set up a loop here and use Omit Records to omit all but the first 100 records. After sending the email, I'd use Replace Field Contents to set a value in a "mark" field so that I can repeat the find to pull up my original found set, but with criteria that uses the value in this "mark" field to omit the records already used to generate emails. When my find results in zero found records, all my records have been processed.

• 2. Re: separating by groups for email
            StevePandol

Thank you! I'll give that a try. If I have any problems I'll let you know. Thanks for your help!