Separation Model – Goto Related Records Layout issue & Q's
Spent the last week converting an Enterprise Solution (16 files, 38 Tables) to Separation Model and have had a few unexpected surprises…
- Split Data in separate file and created relationships as needed for Calc fields.
- All UI files have had Table Occurrences updated to new Data file.
- Created Globals table to do away with Variable issues across multiple file solution. Updated Scripts.
- I know UI file Relationship Graph Occurrences have correct relationships as related record are properly display, but using Go To Related Record does not work when defining a button? Under Go to Related Record options, when I select ‘Use External table’s Layouts’ and then browse... no Layouts are shown available. As the Data Table of course in the Data file has no Layouts defined… The Layout I need is in a separate UI file than the one I am calling it from. What is hte workaround? I have portals all across the solution that allow users to drilldown to the related record and see it in it's native layout (most likely a different UI file)
So a few questions related to using this model with Filemaker Pro... could I put all scripts, original value lists and logic into a third file and have all scripts set to run from Server (use Perform Script from Server step)? So there would be:
(1) DATA File with some Relationship Graph Occurrences as needed
(1) Code File with all Scripts and Value Lists and
(xxx) UI files with just Layouts & Relationship Graph Occurrences.
I would create original Value lists in this file and then in each UI file set-up corresponding VL as “Use Value List from another File…”
Going to look into External Authentication on Mac to do away with security issues but if I do continue to use Filemaker administration of security policy id there a 3rd party commercial solution anyone can recommend for management?
And lastly, what’s the deal with customer Menus? Do I have to create the exact same Menu Set for each UI file? No import or ability to copy across multiple files? Yikes.. That seems unnecessary.. maybe a 3rd party solution for that as well?
Thanks as always, I be lost without this forum (And especially PhilModJunk’s help)