4 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2014 9:26 AM by user22711

Separation Model – Goto Related Records Layout issue

user22711

Title

Separation Model – Goto Related Records Layout issue & Q's

Spent the last week converting an Enterprise Solution (16 files, 38 Tables) to Separation Model and have had a few unexpected surprises…

1.           Split Data in separate file and created relationships as needed for Calc fields.
      3.           All UI files have had Table Occurrences updated to new Data file.
      5.           Created Globals table to do away with Variable issues across multiple file solution. Updated Scripts.
      7.           I know UI file Relationship Graph Occurrences have correct relationships as related record are properly display, but using Go To Related Record does not work when defining a button? Under Go to Related Record options, when I select ‘Use External table’s Layouts’ and then browse... no Layouts are shown available. As the Data Table of course in the Data file has no Layouts defined… The Layout I need is in a separate UI file than the one I am calling it from. What is hte workaround? I have portals all across the solution that allow users to drilldown to the related record and see it in it's native layout (most likely a different UI file)

So a few questions related to using this model with Filemaker Pro... could I put all scripts, original value lists and logic into a third file and have all scripts set to run from Server (use Perform Script from Server step)? So there would be:

(1) DATA File with some Relationship Graph Occurrences as needed

(1) Code File with all Scripts and Value Lists and

(xxx) UI files with just Layouts & Relationship Graph Occurrences.

I would create original Value lists in this file and then in each UI file set-up corresponding VL as “Use Value List from another File…”

Going to look into External Authentication on Mac to do away with security issues but if I do continue to use Filemaker administration of security policy id there a 3rd party commercial solution anyone can recommend for management?

And lastly, what’s the deal with customer Menus? Do I have to create the exact same Menu Set for each UI file? No import or ability to copy across multiple files? Yikes.. That seems unnecessary.. maybe a 3rd party solution for that as well?

Thanks as always, I be lost without this forum (And especially PhilModJunk’s help)

• 1. Re: Separation Model – Goto Related Records Layout issue & Q's
          philmodjunk

The Layout I need is in a separate UI file than the one I am calling it from.

Why do you need more than one UI file?

Since you don't have a relationship from a externally sourced table from that other UI file, GTRR is not a script that will work here, you'll need to use another method such as performing a script in the other UI file while passing the needed criteria for a scripted find as the script parameter to that script.

It would appear that using multiple UI files is greatly complicating the design of your database.

• 2. Re: Separation Model – Goto Related Records Layout issue & Q's
            user22711

Ahh... ok. Working on that next. I picked up a project that already had 10 separate files, each with its own database and UI (layouts) unique to each file and I added to it significantly. I just separated the data and because of the huge amount of work involved in moving layouts to a single file, re-assigning tables & fields, building all the relationship’s etc. I am just moving forward with separate UI files… but very very soon. I hope. My goodness that would make things so much easier. Need. More. Time.

When you said:

“Since you don't have a relationship from a externally sourced table from that other UI file”

I’m not sure I understand… the other UI files do have their tables sourced from the same Data file, of course as the relationships work (and display in a portal, etc.) fine. What’s the limitation of FM that prevents the related record from being able to be navigated to?

I will use the work around but really see I have to get this all in one UI file.. What’s the best way to get all layouts in one file…. so when I cut and paste layouts the field mapping is preserved? Same for imported scripts… Just be sure Table Occurrence are all in place and named exactly the same?

Thanks so much.

• 3. Re: Separation Model – Goto Related Records Layout issue & Q's
              philmodjunk

Each UI file has externally source table occurrences from the Data file, But UI FIle #1 does not have a table occurrence to a table defined in UI File#2. Thus there is nothing that GTRR can use to bring up records on a layout in UI FIle#2 when performed in UI File#1.

Merging the layouts will be a chore no matter how you look at it. See this thread for some of the details involved. (And If you do not have a copy of FileMaker Advanced, get that first as the Database Design Reports that you can generate with it can be a major life saver for this type of operation.

Importing Layouts

• 4. Re: Separation Model – Goto Related Records Layout issue & Q's
                user22711

The Database Design Report for each file was invaluable as was your previous thread. On day 6 and just about finished.. exhausting and I know I missed at least a few triggers, script steps but I will rerun the DDR again. FileMaker Advanced has paid for itself so many times over it’s not even funny and I still can’t believe I got two licenses for the price of one?