4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2013 9:01 AM by stewart_1

Sequential numbering skips

stewart_1

Title

Sequential numbering skips

Filemaker Server 8. Accessed remotely using FM Pro 7. Some of us are also using FM Pro 11.

We have a database that was created in the early 90's and currently has over 12,000 records.

Each new record we create is automatically assigned a new sequential ID number. Several years ago we reset the ID numbering sequence to start from zero. The latest record ID number is 9381.

Occassionaly when we create a new record the ID nunmber will skip a number. For example, our two most recent ID numbers are 9379 and 9381. 9380 was skipped by the data base when a new record was created. The happens occassionaly.

I did not create the database but am trying to help out occassionaly.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Sequential numbering skips
          schamblee

Is the application using an auto-enter serial field or is it using some other method to generate the sequence number?

If a user adds a record (auto-enter)  then deletes the record there would be a skip in the numbering.  Filemaker does not add the number back when the record is deleted.

• 2. Re: Sequential numbering skips
            stewart_1

It is a Number field, set to Auto Enter, Serial. I don't have admin rights so I had to open an earlier version of the database.

The new record is not being deleted. It just occassionaly skips a number and goes to the next.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Sequential numbering skips
              philmodjunk

I suspect that this is not the case, but that a record is being deleted somehow or "lost". Auto-entered serial numbers have been very reliable over many different versions of the software.

You might also try rebuilding the table's indexes as a corrupted index could fail to correctly find or sort records and this can create the apparance of a gap.

For your version, (There are simpler ways for current versions), the simplest way to rebuild all field indexes is to save a clone of your file and then import all data from your current copy into the clone. All the indexes in the table will be rebuilt from scratch during the import.

• 4. Re: Sequential numbering skips
                stewart_1

Thanks, Phil:

We'll have a look at the indexes.