1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 1, 2011 9:40 AM by philmodjunk

serial number generation based on specific criteria

BA

Title

serial number generation based on specific criteria

I am using the filemaker photo catalog modified with additional fields.
      I create an auto serial number when I import files, now i need to create a 
      separate serial number when there is no photo. example; field name = photo id
      when improted it will either be a camera id number (dscn123.jpg) or one
      geneerated for no photo dscnnophoto.jpg. All records create a serial number
      in the field epa cert number, now i need to create a new set of serial numbers
      that are generated ONLY when the field = dscnnophoto.jpg. I have tried scripts using if
      and set variable and am either doing something wrong or this is not the right path.

HELP!!!

Thanks

• 1. Re: serial number generation based on specific criteria
          philmodjunk

The following can be done by hand or in a script:

Perform a find for all records with dscnnophoto.jpg in the field.

Use Replace field contents with the serial number option to assign serial numbers to all such records.

This is a one time fix, but if you first determine the maximum existing value in this field, you can use Replace Field contents manually to assign serial numbers to newly imported records with a starting value 1 greater than this maximum.

In a script, you'd have to loop through the new records, assigning serial numbers if this is something you need to do over and over again. (Can't assign serial numbers via replace field contents and also be able to use a calculation to set the initial value, unfortunately.)