3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2011 8:33 AM by sly_1

serial number question

sly_1

Title

serial number question

I have a few db that has about 1000 records or so. they all have a serial number. I was wondering if example.

Serial numbers are 1-1000 can i change them all in one shot to say tbs-1 to tbs1000

thanks

sly

• 1. Re: serial number question
          ninja

Yes, but why would you want to?  If they are background linking tools that you are not using in real time, why does it matter if they have the prefix?

In a script:

Show all records
          GoToRecord/Request/Page [First]
          Loop
          Set Variable [$ID ; Value: YourIDField]
          SetField [ YourIDField ; "tbs-" & $ID ]
          GoToRecord/Request/Page [Next ; Exit after last]
          End Loop

Run it once and be done with it.

• 2. Re: serial number question
            philmodjunk

You can put the "tbs-" value in a different field and use either merge text or a calculation field to disply the combined value whenever you need that on a layout.

You can also use Replace Field Contents with the calculation option instead of a looping script to update your serial number field with this text.

• 3. Re: serial number question
              sly_1

well this is the issue im having. I have 10 DB'S thar are 100% identical just different information in each.

everything is linked by student id.

What im trying to do is link all 10 dbs into my master db for report purposes.

so

1. i need a quick and easy way to import all 10 db records to the 1 db. ( everytable and every feild)

2. i need to change all linking id's in each db and set the id to a unique one to differ all dbs and ids.

i hope this makes sence.

Sly