14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2012 7:09 AM by philmodjunk

Serial number SKIP? What-a!

dansan500

Title

Serial number SKIP? What-a!

Ok, this is weird.. On our sales orders we have an Order# that is suppose to be Auto-enter Serial in increments of 1 as you can see below.

the field is a Text field.

It worked great for 3 years, then:

Going along fine then mysteriously it jumps up 800, or 245, sometimes over 1000 or what ever.. it's random.

What-da heck is going on?

Sample.jpg

• 1. Re: Serial number SKIP? What-a!
          JimMac

FMP should change 12-C12476 to 12-C12477  when you create the next record containing "OE-Number".

If you have NOT made a programming change in 3 years,

Check to see that all Layouts containing "OE-Number" field is NOT modifiable in the Browse Mode.  I had one accidently modifiable and a User tabbed to it and typed in an Area Code.

Jim...

• 2. Re: Serial number SKIP? What-a!
            philmodjunk

Did you import data into a new copy of the file at any point? That's a common way to get a discrepancy in serial number fields.

• 3. Re: Serial number SKIP? What-a!
              dansan500

The last time it happened I restricted the field so no one could enter into it. But apparently did not stop the problem

I'll take a look at the scrips to make sure nothing is bleeding into the field, or importing to it.

• 4. Re: Serial number SKIP? What-a!
                dansan500

OK, get this....

I created a new Serial field and set it to 01 in increments of 1 and watched as sales orders were created..

01                                     11                              17

03                                     12                              18

04                                     13                              19

07                                     14                              20

09                                     15                              21

10                                     16                              23

now what?

• 5. Re: Serial number SKIP? What-a!
                  philmodjunk

could records with 02, 05, 06 and 08 have been deleted or reverted?

Still checking those scripts?

• 6. Re: Serial number SKIP? What-a!
                    dansan500

Thats why I created the new sequal field, so I could be sure nothing was bleeding in the field.

I did notice that each time it skipped, the same numbers skipped in the Sales Order Number Field.

I also check with the sales team and no sales orders have been deleted, they don't have the authority to do that anyway, all they can do is VOID the order.

• 7. Re: Serial number SKIP? What-a!
                      philmodjunk

Just to rule out possible issues. Try recovering the file. SInce recover also rebuilds all field indexes, check the recovered file even if no problems are reported.

First check to see if some missing records with those numbers now appear, then test to see if you are still getting skipped numbers in your sequence.

• 8. Re: Serial number SKIP? What-a!
                        dansan500

I can recover in a recent backup, that way i will not disturb production.. Do I have to do the entire database or can i just choose a table to recover.

• 9. Re: Serial number SKIP? What-a!
                          philmodjunk

Since you don't really now where or if there's a problem, do the whole file. You can always try again with a more narrow focus if you find that the full up recover fixes the issue--but I'd revert to a back up copy that doesn't have this issue if it turns out that your file is damaged.

• 10. Re: Serial number SKIP? What-a!
                            dansan500

NOTE: The record ID remaines in sequence so there are no gaps in the records.

I am in the process of restoring a backup copy 

• 11. Re: Serial number SKIP? What-a!
                              philmodjunk

NOTE: The record ID remaines in sequence so there are no gaps in the records.

There might be if your file is damaged or a messed up index is keeping your layout from displaying them all.

• 12. Re: Serial number SKIP? What-a!
                                JimMac

One other forum user had same problem.  I discovered in their DB a second TO with the sequential field was set to Auto seqence too! 

Therefore...

When one TO created a new record it had a diffenent Seq. than TO#2

Do any scripts use Set Next Serial script function?

Also... 

Do all keyboards have USA set or is there a possiblility someone is using another country keyboard?

Text serial numbers may be affected by different countries.

Check your FMP preferences for the defaults too.

Jim...

• 13. Re: Serial number SKIP? What-a!
                                  dansan500

I have completed the Recovery process. I have attached the log file. I don't like the statement at the bottom of it.

• 14. Re: Serial number SKIP? What-a!
                                    philmodjunk

Only image files of type gif, jpg or png may be uploaded directly to the forum. You'll need to either copy and paste directly from the log file or upload it to a site such as Drop Box and then post the download link here.